Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Current EMTA Devices

New Poster

Just got off chat with technical service and they told me that I can purchase any on the list they provide here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/.  You have to make sure your area supports you being able to buy your own EMTA.  Make sure you choose your tiered sevice to see what is supported by you internet tier.  I would contact tech support and find out if your area supports DOCSIS 3.0 and if so, choose one of those models. They told me that I can install and then contact them to provision the modem, either by calling or by chat.

If you have internet and phone (or some sort of bundle that includes these two), it would be preferrable that you choose an EMTA that has the telephony built into the cable modem.  For example, I have the Blast internet service and I found only 6 that are telephony cable modems (2 of them Comcast is having issue with---they are in red) and are DOCSIS 3.0.  here are 4 that I have gound and now I have to do research to see which one I want.

arris 702G
arris 722G
SMC SMCD3GNV
Ubee DVM3203B

New Poster

I also called Comcast Tech Support and was given a list of eMTA modem that should work with Comcast's system.  I found the Motorola SBV6220 was not sold retail, so I bought one on eBay from a reputable reseller.  I installed and called Comcast to provision only to find that it would NOT work.  After 4 calls and 4 different answers, I believe the last guy who said it *should* work, but may have been provisioned on their system before, and therefore it won't work now.  Neither internet or phone would work.

So now I am considering whether to find BB with Comcast kiosk, or simply drop Comcast voice service and go back to the phone company.  Much easier to get a non-eMTA modem to work with Comcast's system, and many more hardware choices.  Plus, I then get to use my own wireless router with better performance than the all-in-one box SMC Comcast rents to me now.

I'm in Atlanta area, Gwinnett County.

New Poster

Just wanted to update anyone reading this, I was able to get the Ubee DVM3203B from my local Comcast office.  They did a swap with my old arris 502G.  Took it home and my wife actually called support and they provisioned it over the phone.  Took all of 45 min but it was done.  No tech needed at my home. Of course this was my experience. Someone elses may be different.