Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Cordless Phone Installation

ANSWERED
New Poster

Hi, we recently signed-up for Xfinity voice, but have not yet activated the service. I've done a bunch of research, but would really appreciate any guidance you can provide.

1. I currently have a non-telephony modem. My understanding is that the difference between a standard DOCIS cable modem and a telephony modem is that the telephony modem has a built-in ATA with an RJ-11 output port (to connect to a standard phone). Question: Do I need a telephony modem to support Xfinity voice, or can I simply purchase a stand-alone ATA? I see no reason to purchase (or rent) a gateway device, which is simply a modem+router combination.  My router is fine, and I really don't want to have to reconfigure my WiFi network and the devices connected to that network.
  2. Once I have the correct modem/ATA setup, I understand that you can use all of the existing phone jacks in the house by simply connecting any of those jacks with the modem/ATA via an RJ-11 connector.  HOWEVER, I've read that you should disconnect the demarc or NID from the external source (Verizon). I took a quick look at the wiring in my house, and I'm definitely confused as to what's what. I probably would not want to do this myself without help.  Is this all correct?
  3. Are there other options, where I could:
    1. Connect the RJ-11 output from the modem/ATA directly to the base station of a standard multi-handset cordless phone system? This would require that I use a single base station solution as there would not be multiple jacks around the house available to connect with.
    2. Are there phones that can connect to my Wifi network directly, eliminating the need for a telephony modem and/or ATA altogether? (this would seem to be the optimal solution).  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Hi @dollingerfamily. I can assist with your telephony questions:

1. I currently have a non-telephony modem. My understanding is that the difference between a standard DOCIS cable modem and a telephony modem is that the telephony modem has a built-in ATA with an RJ-11 output port (to connect to a standard phone). Question: Do I need a telephony modem to support Xfinity voice, or can I simply purchase a stand-alone ATA? I see no reason to purchase (or rent) a gateway device, which is simply a modem+router combination.  My router is fine, and I really don't want to have to reconfigure my WiFi network and the devices connected to that network. You are correct that you need an EMTA telephony modem. You don't have to user a Wireless Gateway, if you buy an approved compatible DOCSIS EMTA modem. Here is a link to view the approved compatible modems: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com
  2. Once I have the correct modem/ATA setup, I understand that you can use all of the existing phone jacks in the house by simply connecting any of those jacks with the modem/ATA via an RJ-11 connector.  HOWEVER, I've read that you should disconnect the demarc or NID from the external source (Verizon). I took a quick look at the wiring in my house, and I'm definitely confused as to what's what. I probably would not want to do this myself without help.  Is this all correct? You are correct, your home phone jacks would need to be reconfigured to allow the EMTA modem to provide dial tone to your other phone jacks. For this reason, many customers plug a cordless phone main base unit into the back of the modem in the Tel 1 port, and they use several cordless "satellite" phones in other rooms that work off the main base unit. A professional installation can be scheduled to have a technician visit your home  to do the wiring reconfig if you choose that instead.
    1. Connect the RJ-11 output from the modem/ATA directly to the base station of a standard multi-handset cordless phone system? This would require that I use a single base station solution as there would not be multiple jacks around the house available to connect with. (This would work fine)
    2. Are there phones that can connect to my Wifi network directly, eliminating the need for a telephony modem and/or ATA altogether? (this would seem to be the optimal solution).  Thoughts? Our digital voice phone service technology is dedicated to its own server and network. For our phone service, you must use an EMTA modem. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

Hi @dollingerfamily. I can assist with your telephony questions:

1. I currently have a non-telephony modem. My understanding is that the difference between a standard DOCIS cable modem and a telephony modem is that the telephony modem has a built-in ATA with an RJ-11 output port (to connect to a standard phone). Question: Do I need a telephony modem to support Xfinity voice, or can I simply purchase a stand-alone ATA? I see no reason to purchase (or rent) a gateway device, which is simply a modem+router combination.  My router is fine, and I really don't want to have to reconfigure my WiFi network and the devices connected to that network. You are correct that you need an EMTA telephony modem. You don't have to user a Wireless Gateway, if you buy an approved compatible DOCSIS EMTA modem. Here is a link to view the approved compatible modems: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com
  2. Once I have the correct modem/ATA setup, I understand that you can use all of the existing phone jacks in the house by simply connecting any of those jacks with the modem/ATA via an RJ-11 connector.  HOWEVER, I've read that you should disconnect the demarc or NID from the external source (Verizon). I took a quick look at the wiring in my house, and I'm definitely confused as to what's what. I probably would not want to do this myself without help.  Is this all correct? You are correct, your home phone jacks would need to be reconfigured to allow the EMTA modem to provide dial tone to your other phone jacks. For this reason, many customers plug a cordless phone main base unit into the back of the modem in the Tel 1 port, and they use several cordless "satellite" phones in other rooms that work off the main base unit. A professional installation can be scheduled to have a technician visit your home  to do the wiring reconfig if you choose that instead.
    1. Connect the RJ-11 output from the modem/ATA directly to the base station of a standard multi-handset cordless phone system? This would require that I use a single base station solution as there would not be multiple jacks around the house available to connect with. (This would work fine)
    2. Are there phones that can connect to my Wifi network directly, eliminating the need for a telephony modem and/or ATA altogether? (this would seem to be the optimal solution).  Thoughts? Our digital voice phone service technology is dedicated to its own server and network. For our phone service, you must use an EMTA modem. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation