Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Comcast voice down?

Regular Visitor

Still no connection for either voice or Internet here in Crofton, MD, though cable still seems to be ok. Is this part of the same problem or something different?
Cable Expert

The outage on Wednesday is fixed, and did not affect the high speed internet subscribers.

You should first try and press the little indented reset button on your eMTA phone adapter and see if that helps.  It is on the back where all the cables connect, you will need a poker like a toothpick, paper clip or end of a pencil to press the indented button.

You don't say what your specific issue is, if it is no dial tone, or call won't complete, or no incoming.   You might want to see if you can do a live chat with a Comcast support to see if they can run a health check on your eMTA and phone service.

You can access live chat here http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/Help.aspx or call Comcast support from a alternate phone.  You can also tweet to @comcastcares

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Wow!  I was just looking into buying the Comcast Triple Play service, an upgrade from my current Starter Package, when I spotted this forum.  Needless to say, I will stay with good old AT&T for my voice. 

Frequent Visitor

I've been reading up on this service, trying to figure it out. My first question is this: ....Is it VOIP? 

If it IS VOIP, then why so incredibly expensive??  I still pay Vonage only about

$18.00/month for unlimited local and long distance to the US, Canada, and posessions. And I've had impeccable, uninterrupted service for 7 years.

(It almost sounds as though Comcast were taking huge advantage of its customers' ignorance about such things, like that would ever happen!   ;-)

Also..if it is VOIP, then why do I need a regualr phone hookup? (I don't even have one...)

Cable Expert

Yes, it is VOIP.  You don't need a regular phone hookup, I'm not sure where you got that from.

As far as pricing, it's whatever Comcast marketing thinks they can get out of people and offer deals on triple play.  For many, it's cheaper than a unlimited POTS line from the local phone company, since Ma Bell ccharges alot for call waiting, caller ID, voice mail and other features.  Triple play packages make up some of the savings over ala carte pricing. 

VOIP using Vonage and their competitors is too complicated for many people that don't know a router from a phone adapter from a modem, and what to do if there's an issue.  Vonage won't send out a tech if there is a problem.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Sure POTS is more costly. But POTS lines are always up.

With POTS you always have phone service- even when the power goes out, or the cable is down, or you're downloading a large file. (And no Cable guys ever come out for those things.)

There's a very good reason that VOIP is cheaper. 

Anyhooo......do they even increase your bandwidth to justify the steep price, or is this (ahem) "Digital" phone just the latest golden goose?

Frequent Visitor

(double post  --sorry)

Cable Expert

I disagree that POTS is always up.  In our area pretty much any development built after 1990, the local copper lines go to what's called SLIC96's that a line concentrator so the telco doesn't have to run copper all the way to the CO.  These need local power and are subject to failure, as these many terminals are scattered around the neighborhoods.  These do have outages and and do bring down local phone service.

We also had 2 major Central Office catastrophies in 1988 to early 90's.  A major toll switch caught fire and we couldn't dial out of our own CO for two weeks, affecting all subscribers in the western suburbs, all regional toll, ATM's, Ameritech Cell service, and air traffic data to O'Hare.

We also had major flooding at our local class 5 CO, and we had zero phone service for two weeks as they dried out and replaced the #1 ESS switch & power systems.

Nothing is imune from failure, not even POTS.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

True. Any service can be brought down. But when you lose your cable (not an uncommon occurance) you can't pick up your phone to dial 1-800-comcast.

It's simple, old fashoined price gouging. But it's their ball game. If I don't like it, I can go home.

Frequent Visitor

I don't think any service is perfect, however, I'm 67 years old and in my entire life I've NEVER lost POTS. 

Frequent Visitor

I lose my VOIP every time the cable or electricity goes out.  Alas, I've been told that I must have Comcast "Digital" Phone or a land line, so I'm again forced to relinquish my lunch money to the high school bullies. ;-)

I forgot that the reason I came to this forum was to find out about their connections..the FAQ's claim that I can plug my phone into any phone jack. So apparently they isolate your wires from the phone co (we hope) and rewire your house. 

Cable Expert

firthy

You are correct, the inside wiring is isolated at the NID (or another location depending on the wiring in the house) from the telco, and the eMTA is wired into the inside wiring to feed the telephone jacks in the house.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So that gives the great unwashed the impression of having a real telephone.  (Until the power goes out, or the cable goes down...)

I can't find out whether I can even GET Comcast's VOIP where I live.  Every time I go to the page to check things out, they tell me they're having technical difficulties. (For several days now)  I was chatting with a rep, but I lost him. 

People on the phone are obligated to sell at any cost, and  I'll be forced to record everything. The closest figure I can get is $19.99/month to start for the phone, and that's only local calling. Then you add more money for every little feature, and jack it up every year. The last figure I got was over $55/month, before fees. (Almost pure profit. That should put some gasoline in those Lamborghinis!) 

I give up. I'd better just get a land line/ DSL/satellite bundle.

thanks anyhow.

Frequent Visitor

I hear and experience the same concerns and problems with Comcast.   When I combine my current Comcast internet and TV with my ATT phone bill and compare that to Comcast's Triple Play it would appear I could save a few bucks.  But I just don't have a good feeling about it.  I lose Comcast service periodically, I call them, wait forever on the calling tree, they suggest I plug/unplug the modem to which I reply, but my TV doesn't work either, then they take a day's worth off my next bill.  What's wrong with this picture.

Frequent Visitor

Try being on hold for all that time with a pay-as-you-go cell phone...