Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: Comcast VOice & separate landline

New Poster

I am switching from triple bundle to double play. Have not been satisfied with phone service for two reasons.
1. I get complaints that I cannot be heard like I am on mute. Googled and it appears quite a few of comcast customers have had the same complaint.
2. During the recent power. Outage the battery died w/ in 4 hours. Did not have power for 4 days. Dependent on cell phone at that point. Not comforting. Going to Verizon land line as soon as the dust settles from the Hurricane scramble.
Connection Expert

Most Power outages are resolves within an hour.

I have an inexpensive Battery Backup UPS for my modem, Router and a laptop that will keep me on line for several days.

Might be a simpler alternative.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

MATS - Thanks for the info.  The "can't be heard" complaint is discouraging, but the 3-play premium bundle pricing is attractive vs. what I already pay for TV & Internet plus the Verizon line I'm considering  replacing, especially since the imminent death of the family room TV will effectively force a move to a HDTV set anyway.  The short-lived battery is less of a concern since we'd still have the separate Verizon landline used for my wife's business. 

I guess I'm going to have to contact Comcast and/or Verizon to investigate possibilities re keeping the landline while using interior wiring to distribute the Comcast Voice service.  The simple solution, of course, would be to use a multistation cordless phone system connected to the phonhe modem, but I'd rather not go that way even if it didn't mean buying all new phones.

Frequent Visitor

James,

Good idea.  I have a UPS backing the desktop/monitor/modem/router that runs it all for an hour or so  but one dedicated to modem and router plus laptop when needed could be very useful. 

A couple of questions --

1) When running on UPS battery, is your router/modem/laptop configuration powered on continuously or just for (brief?) use as needed "for several days"?

2) What model UPS are you using for this purpose? 

New Poster

Is Verizon the only company that offers the "old fashioned" analog phone service that does not require power in your house?

Connection Expert

The UPS is a Generic Midline Best Buy Branded UPS.  Since there is such a smiall draw I would expect it to last for several days.  That saic, of course I have a Generator that I fire up for the Freezer, Lights and television for extended outages. (Don't want the Meat  and Ice Cream to go badSmiley Happy)

The way it works is AC Power from a Wall jack runs a Battery Charger and powers the UPS power jacks.

The Battery powers an AC Inverter so When power drops out, the Inverter kicks in and starts supplying AC Power to the devices plugged into it.  You can of course turn the UPS off to cnserver the Battery.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Currently, each municipality will license a vendor to provide POTS - plain old telephone service - in an area.  At this point, those phone companies are still pulling copper cable which does not require a power source in the home for phone service.  In Washington State, both Qwest and Verizon sold their residential services and I expect fiber optic will replace cooper (and may already in new developments?).  Fiber optic from the phone or cable company require power sources in the home.

Frequent Visitor

James,

Thanks for the reply.  Outages are infrequent here, and ones longer than a few hours are even rarer.  Still, it'd be nice to have 'net access during the ones that do occur. 

Connection Expert

stanwhjr wrote:

James,

Thanks for the reply.  Outages are infrequent here, and ones longer than a few hours are even rarer.  Still, it'd be nice to have 'net access during the ones that do occur. 

Yea, we get short outages.  My phone never loses a beat and the modem and router  have no clue the outage occurred and of course the laptop just keeps on keeping on.  I guess I should get a separate UPPS for the TV.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

A UPS for the TV equip., esp the cable box, would save some annoyance in short outages.  A blip that flips off the TV is no biggie, fixable with a click of the remote.  OTOH, if the same blip tuurns off the cable box it has to re-download the whole program guide.  That can take several hours before it's fully loaded.  Grrr!  :-)