Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

REQUEST: Ability to manage blocked callers & block Out of area/Unknown

Cable Expert

REQUEST: Ability to manage blocked callers & block Out of area/Unknown

I would like to see the ability to import a list of phone numbers into the CDV / SmartZone web portal or IPhone application that allows me to specify phone numbers to block.  Simular to dialing *60, but instead it would be a much easier to use UI where you can manage it all on one screen.  Also using wildcards and blocking "Unknown" or "Out Of Area" callers so your phone does not ring when these calls come through.  These are hassle calls that come through even when on the DNC registry and this feature alone would greatly enhnace CDV service for everyone.

Thanks! 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: REQUEST: Ability to manage blocked callers & block Out of area/Unknown

cypherx wrote:

I would like to see the ability to import a list of phone numbers into the CDV / SmartZone web portal or IPhone application that allows me to specify phone numbers to block.  Simular to dialing *60, but instead it would be a much easier to use UI where you can manage it all on one screen.  Also using wildcards and blocking "Unknown" or "Out Of Area" callers so your phone does not ring when these calls come through.  These are hassle calls that come through even when on the DNC registry and this feature alone would greatly enhnace CDV service for everyone.

Thanks! 

hello cypher,

i cant speak about future iphone implementation, however...

i know we are working on building a feature into smartzone that will allow you add or remove numbers. not sure if it will allow you to import or export like an address book though.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

"Also using wildcards and blocking "Unknown" or "Out Of Area" callers so your phone does not ring when these calls come through."

I was thinking about this, and I don't know if this would be a good idea...

In my case, I have friends out of state that sometimes call me and number shows as "Unknown". I have also seen "Out Of Area" when I get international calls...

Also, I always get "Unknown" when my wife calls me from her work.

..I mean I can see how blocking these might help reduce telemarketers/harassing calls... but I'm not sure that in the end it's a good idea...

Cable Expert

Well that's why it should be optional.  And in the web gui when selecting to block Unavailable or Out Of Area, there should be a disclaimer pop up.  Not too hard to program if you ask me.
Contributor

IM switching from ViaTalk and a feature they have is the ability to block any caller from the call logs.  You simply click on 'routing options' and it gives you a list of what to do with that number.  You can block it, send it to VM, play a stop calling message or give them a permanent busy signal.  If a small VOIP like ViaTalk can have it, not sure why Comcast cannot.
New Poster

I see that this thread is several years old.

Hey Comcast! - are you making any headway on this question? Users would like more ability to manage blocked caller lists. A list of only 12 blocked callers that can only be managed via phone is not a very useful feature. 

I would like to see a web-based feature enabling building whitelists and blacklists. A much longer blacklist than 12 is a must. Some ability to review the list visually is also a must.

Bronze Problem Solver

i will share your feedback on blocking numbers.

you may now create a blacklist in smartzone.

loging to your email at comcast.net select preferences then call manager then call screening.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

New Poster

Can I put a number on the blacklist if it shows up as "Private"?
Email Expert

I think you can, if you can find out the number.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Cable Expert

That's great to see this is in the web interface now.  But I'm having an issue:

I get this: 

callscreening.JPG

I want to know more issue as to why there is a 12 number limitation, so I click on the blue FAQ link.  The FAQ link takes you to www.comcast.net.  What good does that do?  It should take me to an FAQ that provides me with more info as to why this feature is not complete, along with the ETA when this bug will be resolved. 

Email Expert

CDV has always had this limit, and they haven't mentioned any plans to increase it. What more is there to say? I think the reference to the FAQ is generic, as a place to find more information about CDV, not this specific issue.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Cable Expert

Well the link to the FAQ is broken.  It doesn't tell you anything about digital voice or even the issue at hand.  It takes you to www.comcast.net.  Ok, that's great if I want to read the latest news, watch the video's, check weather and e-mail, and come here.

So I think there's just two problems here.

1 - The link to the FAQ should take you to some kind of FAQ - after all, it says FAQ

2 - The limit in CDV should be addressed.  It does look like Viatalk has no limit, as the one other poster stated on here.  That surprises me because it also is substantially less expensive than Comcast Digital Voice - even after taking the triple play unbundled pricing penalties. Living in the digital age, this shouldn't be so difficult as everything is computer controlled.  Back in the day of mechanical rotary phone switches and manual trunking - ok I can understand.  But today everything's passed through modern day software and IP Switches.  I mean if they can't figure it out, or don't have time to, why not put a link to where people who know how to do this can send in their resume?

Message Edited by cypherx on 03-10-2010 05:47 PM
Cable Expert

Anyway, it looks like this device will do what I want to accomplish.  I just have to hook it up inline between the eMTA and the phone wiring.

http://www.amazon.com/Block-Computer-Caller-Regulator-Black/dp/B001E20YWM/ref=pd_cp_e_0

That won't stop Caller ID messages on the PC or TV however, but it will stop the phone from ringing if the number is in the block list. 

Email Expert

Yeah, lots of FAQ links are broken throughout the Comcast web sites. They reorganized the FAQ pages a few months ago, and many of the links point to the old locations. This has been brought to the attention of the forum admin, but I expect that finding and fixing all the links will take some time.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

I too would like the option to block all "out of area" calls.  I have not had a single one of them turn out to be a legitimate call.  They are either telemarketers, scammers, robodialers, or the moron collection agency that seems to think my number belongs to someone they are trying to find and end up irritating ME day and night instead of whoever owes money (and they use a robodialer too, so I can't even tell a live person that they have the wrong number and to go bug someone else).  Clearly they have found a way to avoid transmitting a number without it registering as a blocked caller ID (they should be reported to FCC, but they know full well nobody can do that without their name or number, which of course you can't get out of them). 

I'd even be happy if it kicked them straight to voicemail without ringing, just in case it was the rare legitimate call (though, how many places really exist where caller ID is still unavailable?)  I just don't want to hear the phone ring.

I was disappointed that I can't find a way to block these calls, since they are the ones that call at irritating hours of the day and night (they've woken me up BOTH mornings this weekend).  

New Poster

hi there............i am having some serious problems with harrassing phone calls........i have annonymous call rejection but that is not stopping this same women, calling from different numbers from calling me as early as 6:000 am and as late as 11:00 p.m..........she says her name is deanna and that she is looking for scott...........approximately i very politely informed her that there was no scott here and i felt that she knew that........she said she would never call again and the calls stopped for approximately 1 - 2 months...........i had originally thought the calls were from a credit bureau but the last few months she started talking personal about her and "scott".........i think she is using "scotts" name to get in touch with my husband.....because when i tried to resolve this issues with husband he basically dismissed my concerns saying that when we first got this phone number there were non stop calls for "scott" but they were always  either 800 #'s or 888 #'s........the 3's over the last 4-6 months have mostly been 207 -310-3322 where she informs me that her name is deanna.........now she is also calling me from the # 781-245-4609 with the name heineck g......and she is still asking for scott and informing me that she is deanna......i didnt know that i could block specific numbers and i also know if she wants to she find a way to call me from a new number...........is there a solution for my problem..........life is hard enough without things like this .............i'll be looking forward to a response and possible solution........and by the way.....i know you guys aren't marriage counselors but an even playing field would sure help resolve this issue........thank you

Problem Solver

I can't imagine there is a way to block her calls if she calls from every pay phone in town, for instance.  You can block some phone numbers, but not "people".

Perhaps getting a new unlisted phone number or dropping your land line altogether and using a cell phone would afford you some privacy.

Cable Expert

Just an FYI, it doesn't help your situation, but there's a website to go to and put in a phone number if you suspect it's a collection agency, fundraiser, or something of that nature.

Go to http://whocalled.us and put in the number.  You can see what other people posted about the number in question, and also get the reverse caller ID information on it.

Your two numbers I ran are both Verizon numbers in Massachusetts.  No one reported those numbers, so I have a feeling it's a personal account as opposed to a business trying to sell something, collect money, or get "Scott" to donate to a charity.

You just will have to keep blocking those numbers, as I do... but eventually you will hit the limit.  In today's digital age where everything is filtered through computer systems, I find it hard to believe that there should be a limit in to how many numbers you can block.  But we have to work with what we have.

Regular Contributor

The 12 number blocking limitation is not nearly enough.

I have been asking Comcast to increase this number forever and they have not taken any action on it.

And it's not just me.....  I have read many posts from customers who have asked that the blocking feature be enhanced.

I have also been expereincing the lost caller ID feature on my TV.

New Poster

Unless I am soon able to block Unavailable/Out of Area calls I will have to terminate my phone service. I have been receiving 5, 6, 7 calls every single day for several months now. I have been woken up every weekend morning when I wanted to sleep in and have had many naps interrupted as well as having TV programs disrupted by these calls popping up. I had hoped that by ignoring them that they would eventually stop but that doesn't appear to be the case. It is obviously a rotodialer prowling to determine at what times it will get an answer. Anonymous Call Block does not prevent these obnoxious, intrusive calls. It is my phone line, that I pay for, and I should have the option of preventing these calls from ringing and popping up on my TV screen. I don't care if they go to voicemail, or whatever, I just can't stand these recurring disruptions. I don't see why it can't be possible to do something with Unavailable/Unknown calls. If they can't be blocked outright, then at least prevent them from ringing and send them straight to voicemail. I am absolutely at my wits end with this and unless something can be done I will shut off my land line and just use my cell phone.

Cable Expert

You don't state if you have a unlisted number or not.  That makes a huge difference in in random calls.  Double check your still on the "do not call" list.

You should change your number and get it unlisted.  I've had a unlisted number for 30 years and don't get calls like many friends who are listed in the directory.  Keeping your old number is not going to stop these telemarketers.  Caller ID spoofing by many of these callers keep the call blocking from working.

You should also have anonymous call rejection turned on in the preference section of Smartzone.

anom.JPG

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I'm with you on this one.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Blocking out of area/Unknown is a MUST and Comcast doesn't seem to get that.  I will switch to a cell phone in the very near future.  I have had it with these calls.  Blocking 12 numbers is also inadequate.  As soon as I block the telemarketers, or debt collectors (none of these calls are for me), they come up with another number to use and get through the block.  I hate them all.  In reference to JaylnAlg's response "You should also have anonymous call rejection turned on in the preference section of Smartzone".  Apparently, JaylnAlg doesn't have to deal with these idiots, because anonymous call rejection DOES NOT WORK.  I love the digital voice option with Comcast, but I hate the intrusive calls.  Goin' back to my cell phone!!!!Man Mad

New Poster

My problem is I have several numbers listed in the block calls folder, but calls from those numbers still ring through. That is annoying to say the least. The service seems useless.

Email Expert

I think there are ways for the caller to spoof caller-ID, so the number you add to the block list is not the actual number they're calling from.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

Re: REQUEST: Ability to manage blocked callers &am

Come on Comcast listen to your users! Beef up the features on call blocking.

New Poster

I have an unlisted, unpublished number.  I am also on the do not call list with the federal government and the state government.  I have the *77 checked and I make sure it's on dialing *77.  Why am I still being harrassed day and night by "unavailable/unknown number" calls?  For a company that is so high tech you would think that we can not be harrassed like this with unwanted calls.  If I stop my phone service, then I will have to pay an arm and a leg for tv and internet because I will lose the bundle discount.  This is very frustrating and annoying.  Please, Comcast, do something.  I like my service with you and I would hate to have to terminate because of these calls.  I have to get up early in the morning to go to work.  I don't want to be harrassed at 11 at night and not able to sleep.  If I shut the ringer off, I may miss an important call from a family member who has an emergency.  This is a losing situation here.  Help!

Regular Visitor

I switched from Verizon a few months ago and never had these calls with them.  Verizon's anonymous call rejection was much better then Comcasts.  I, too, have asked Comcast to allow Out Of Area calls to be blocked  (if I chose to do that) and they tell me These calls can't be blocked.  What they are really telling me is they don't care.  Come on Comcast.  Don't tell me "I don't want these calls blocked"  I am telling you I want them blocked.  Just add a check box that says "Block all phone calls without a number".  Ideally, let me maintain a list by name (i.e.. Out or Area and Unknown) and another list for numbers - and 12 numbers is not enough.  I would like at least 50 with a comment area so I can keep track of my 50 numbers.  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS!