Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

RCA DHG535-2 Modem

New Poster

RCA DHG535-2 Modem

I am having a really hard time trying to purchase my own equipment to avoid the $10 monthly fee. I already own my own DOCSYS 3.0 Cable Modem (Motorola SB161) for internet but I need another modem to handle my Comcast Voice service. I still had an old RCA DHG535-2 laying around from 5 years ago so I plugged it in with splitter and Comcast activated it about 2 weeks ago without any hitches. Even though the device is ancient they still want to charge me $10 per month and although I think it's unessessary they technically own the device so I understand. Well, last week I went and bought my own RCA DHG535-2 modem can called Comcast to activate it but they said they couldn't and I would have to go to a Xfinity store to have them activate it. Today I went to my local Xfinity service center and they said they cannot activate this device because it's outdated and unsupported!!! I'm getting really frustrated at this point because two weeks ago they didn't have a problem activating my old modem but all of a sudden now they do. 

Can someone help me out and explain my options here? Is there any way I can get this activated? 

Official Employee

Re: RCA DHG535-2 Modem

Why don't you buy DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA: TM722G or TG862G. If you use your own router then you can put TG862G in bridge mode. In this way you don't need another cable modem, SB6121.

The reason they were not able to activate DHG535 is because it's D2.0 product and is End of Life (EOL).

-Chirag

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I already have the SB6141 (not SB6121) and it's working great. I activated my original DHG535 two weeks ago. Has something changed in the past two weeks preventing comcast from activing another DHG535. And comcast is calling a product End of Life (EOL) but in the real world the product is working fine and probably has another 10 years left. 

FYI - I had terrible service with the Arris TG862G that comcast sent me last month which is why I ended up buying the SB6141 and an ASUS router after doing a lot of research. 

I think it's time to ditch the comcast voip. They really shouldn't be charging me $10 per month for the old docsys 2.0 modem anyways and it's bogus that they can't just activate another DHG535 modem for me when I have another DHG535 already activated and working great (for me).

Official Employee

mattd860 wrote:

And comcast is calling a product End of Life (EOL) but in the real world the product is working fine and probably has another 10 years left. 

End Of Life (EOL) not neccessarily mean that the product is not going to work anymore. It is more in terms of firmware support (no more firmware) and vendor has stopped supporting the product.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I understand but if I own my own device - comcast isn't going to support it anyways. So if I own my own device that still works, why not let me use it? If it breaks or works pooly due to lack of updated firmwares, it's my own responsibility since I own it and knew it wasn't supported. 

Remember - we're only talking about my VOIP phone system here. NOT my internet which is being delivered through my top-of-the-line comcast supported modem and I couldn't be happier. I don't even use the phone anyways but I like the idea of a backup if my cell phone ever dies.