Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Question on installiation of Digital Voice this Saturday

Contributor

Question on installiation of Digital Voice this Saturday

Hi .... we are switching our 3 phone lines (2 voice, 1 fax) over to CDV this Saturday. I'm already a bit nervous because everytime I call Comcast the prices keep changing. I can deal with that. Here's my question. In my home office I have two physical jacks that deal with 3 separate lines. One jack has a splitter and the splitter somehow separates these 2 lines (not sure how but it works). Can CDV work with this or do I need to have 3 physical jacks. So far no one at Comcast has answered this question.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Question on installiation of Digital Voice this Saturday

beckbird wrote:
Hi .... we are switching our 3 phone lines (2 voice, 1 fax) over to CDV this Saturday. I'm already a bit nervous because everytime I call Comcast the prices keep changing. I can deal with that. Here's my question. In my home office I have two physical jacks that deal with 3 separate lines. One jack has a splitter and the splitter somehow separates these 2 lines (not sure how but it works). Can CDV work with this or do I need to have 3 physical jacks. So far no one at Comcast has answered this question.

I just got mine installed this past monday. I too have a fax machine and there was one spliter. The tech put it all together for me. No problems..Smiley Wink
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Contributor

That's good to hear. Now if the dollar amount would stop changing everytime I call them I'll be happy.
Most Valued Poster

beckbird wrote:
That's good to hear. Now if the dollar amount would stop changing everytime I call them I'll be happy.

The one that you were quoted when you put in the order should be the one on the work order for the tech.Smiley Wink
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Contributor

It may be on his work order but I've already been told that because we have 3 lines their online pricing doesn't matter since they are saying we will need two modems instead of one. So we have to rent two modems and have two accounts. Punish the customer for lack of planning. That makes sense.
Most Valued Poster

beckbird,

As you have mentioned, you will need two CDV modems (eMTAs).  The eMTA used for CDV is only capable of supporting a maximum of two lines.  With that said, both modems will actually be on the same account.
Contributor

Michael,
Then why am I being told that they can't bill me as Comcast advertises
$39.95 for voice line 1
$20.00 for voice line 2
$10.00 for fax line 3

No one wants all this to work more than I do but it makes me nervous when everytime I get a comcast person on the phone I get a new story. It sounds like there is a big disconnect between the products you sell and your billing systems. Do you have any advice on resolving this?

Don
Most Valued Poster

beckbird,

I have very little visibility to the billing process for your area.  With that said, the price breakdown was only structured for a maximum of two lines.  The fact that you will need a second eMTA means that you will need to pay the full rate for the third line.  This is similar to a customer that wants to add a second modem for the High Speed Internet service.  Each modem gives full access to the complete range of account features (bandwidth, email accounts, Usenet access, etc.).  In essence, you are getting a whole other bandwidth allocation and everything else that comes with the service.
Contributor

Thanks for the answer. How much bandwidth does all this drain off my internet connection?
Bronze Problem Solver

beckbird wrote:
Thanks for the answer. How much bandwidth does all this drain off my internet connection?

I think, if I understand Michael's reponse:

"I have very little visibility to the billing process for your area.  With that said, the price breakdown was only structured for a maximum of two lines.  The fact that you will need a second eMTA means that you will need to pay the full rate for the third line.  This is similar to a customer that wants to add a second modem for the High Speed Internet service.  Each modem gives full access to the complete range of account features (bandwidth, email accounts, Usenet access, etc.).  In essence, you are getting a whole other bandwidth allocation and everything else that comes with the service."

he is saying that for each modem you get full bandwidth. So there shouldn't be any "drain" as you put it. Michael can set me straight if I misunderstood his response.

Regular Contributor

The short answer is that your Comcast Digital Voice service should have no impact whatsoever on your High-Speed Internet service (and neither should impact your Video service either, including Video On-Demand).

If you would like to learn more about how the whole broadband system works, there are a variety of websites out there. You can start with Cable Labs. There's also an entry on DOCSIS over on the Wikipedia.

To briefly answer the first question, regardless of how the telephone cabling is set up in your home, our installation technicians should be able to handle it, although naturally, the more complicated the wiring is in your home, the longer it will take to get everything working correctly. I would advise you to make sure you test all of the phones and fax machines in the house before the technician leaves to make sure everything is working the way you want it to. With three lines coming into the home, the job will probably be pretty complex.

Geoff.