Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Question about voice hookup

Regular Contributor

Question about voice hookup

I currently have Comcast internet and TV but still have an AT&T landline that I'm paying too much for.  If I add Comcast voice service, does the piece of hardware that provides the internet and voice connection need to be plugged into a phone jack as well as the cable outlet?  The reason I ask is that there is no existing phone jack near my computer desk where my cable modem connection is (although adding a jack would be relatively easy for someone who knew what they were doing).  Obviously, I would want all my house phones (4) to be connected via their existing jacks.

Cable Expert

Re: Question about voice hookup

Yes, the eMTA telephony modem will need both the coax and a connection to your inside phone wiring.  It will be up to the installer on how to connect to your existing inside wiring.  

He can either run a phone line from the eMTA telephony modem from a existing phone jack or the telco's network interface device, or he might need to end up with two devices, a regular cable modem by keeping your existing modem.  He would then add the eMTA telephony modem to a more convenient location that has access to both the coax and the inside phone wiring.  Having two devices would not change the $7 a month rental on the modems.

It totally depends on the location and access to the wiring on the best way to go.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon