Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Question about the stand-by button?

Contributor

Question about the stand-by button?

This question may seem more than obvious but I just don't know the answer.
Ok here goes: I am one of those folks who turns their computer off every nite and back on every day. Since getting Comcast Digital Voice with the new telephony modem that must be left on 24/7, Can I hit the stand-by button to disconnect from the internet? Sorry, I'm new to CDV and just wanted to know.
Thanks.
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about the stand-by button?

If you phone modem has a stand by button you may use and it will shut off just the internet.  Almost all EMTA's now dont even have one or it is disabled.
Contributor

Thanks, stonecold..... I'm going to try it tonite.

(For what it's worth, just wanted to let you know that the stand-by button wasn't disabled and worked fine)

Message Edited by oobydooby on 10-20-2007 06:26 AM
Email Expert

If you turn off your computer, why do you need use the modem's Standby button?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Barmar wrote:
If you turn off your computer, why do you need use the modem's Standby button?

I just feel better at night knowing that the computer is on stand-by Smiley Happy
I either do that or disable the LAN.. ever since I've been computering, I've been doing this. I've been told that it's a safe habit to practice. Probably un-necessary, but old habits are hard to break.
Email Expert

Turning off the computer is certainly a reasonable thing. I just don't see the point of turning off the modem if there's nothing connected to it that's turned on. Do you think someone can turn your computer back on without you knowing about it?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

Barmar wrote:
Turning off the computer is certainly a reasonable thing. I just don't see the point of turning off the modem if there's nothing connected to it that's turned on. Do you think someone can turn your computer back on without you knowing about it?

Just not sure about that, these days. I suppose I don't really have to disable the connection if the computer's turned off, it's just an extra security measure. Does the idea bother you about disabling the connection before shutdown? It's just something that gives me a little peace of mind in doing so.
A few years ago, when I just had a cable modem only, it had a stand-by button that I would turn off every time I was away from the computer.
Only a few months ago, my sis - who's had cable internet for years, would leave her computer on 24/7 and connected at all times to the net, had someone turn her computer into a zombie of sorts, and had a lot of trouble straigtening every thing out. I never want to end up like that, so you never know?
Email Expert

It doesn't "bother" me. But as a tech support person, I like to understand people's weird obsessions and misconceptions about computers. I can answer better if I know where people are coming from.

You should either put the modem on standby or turn off the computer. I just don't understand doing BOTH.

If you have a home network with a number of computers, putting the modem on standby is easier than remembering to turn off all the computers. But if there's just one computer, and you already turn it off, putting the modem on standby seems like overkill.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

Yeah I guess you're right, it's over-kill. I wouldn't call it a "weird obsession", (that's rude).  I'd rather it be called a misconception.
Thanks for your input. I've been enlightened.
Most Valued Poster

I may be wrong, but I believe that your computer can be turned into a zombie when you're sitting in front of it.  If you go to the wrong site, or launch the wrong attachment, and you are not protected, you could compromise your computer.

oobydooby wrote:

Only a few months ago, my sis - who's had cable internet for years, would leave her computer on 24/7 and connected at all times to the net, had someone turn her computer into a zombie of sorts, and had a lot of trouble straigtening every thing out. I never want to end up like that, so you never know?

Contributor

Thanks, Firesbane... for giving me something new to worry about ........ just kidding... but seriously, you are right. Most would say my surfing habits are boring, so I'm hoping for the most part that I remain safe.  One can never be 100% safe on the internet, but I try my best Smiley Happy

Security Expert

Firesbane wrote:
I may be wrong, but I believe  guarantee that your computer can be turned into a zombie when you're sitting in front of it.  If you go to the wrong site, or launch the wrong attachment, and you are not protected, you could compromise your computer.

oobydooby wrote:

There.. I fixed it for ya... Smiley Wink
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon