New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Problems splitting phone

ANSWERED
New Poster

Problems splitting phone

I just had the digital voice installed yesterday and I'm having an issue splitting the phone. If I do not run the phone directly from the modem to the cordless base unit I get a loud click when I get a dialtone and static on the line.I have the RCA emta and Motorola DECT cordless phones. I need the phone split 3 ways. Using a 5 way splitter I get the click/static and if I run the phone from the modem into an Epson all in one and run the line from there to the base I also have the problem. I have tried relocating the base and switching out phone cords and I'm still getting the problem. How am I going to split the phone without getting these issues?

Accepted Solution

Re: Problems splitting phone

That seems simple enough, so the first thing I'll offer is to replace the cord coming out of the eMTA's L1/L2 jack with a 2 conductor cord.  That is because, the eMTA has capability for 2 lines, and the L1/L2 jack supplies talk battery voltage to both lines on the L1/L2 jack even if you only have one line with Comcast. 

Maybe there is a short or other wiring issue with one of your equipment's RJ ports causing the voltages from both lines shorting together, even if it's only 1 of the wires.

Here's what to look for in a RJ11 cord with only 2 wires instead of the normal 4 wire cord that handles 2 lines.  You will see this cord only has the two center conductors on the plug and will only give you the talk battery voltage for the L1 coming out of the eMTA.

When I do installs & repairs it is mandatory I have these with for times that the line 1 and line 2 need to be separated.

Radio Shack might have a cord with just the two center wires available.  Alot of 2 line small business phones also come with these cords.

2wire.PNG

Your other option from letting the line 2 voltage out to your equipment is to use a splitter like this that splits the line 1 and line 2 to separate jacks, and then plug your equipment cord into the L1 only jack.  Radio Shack does sell these.

jack2.PNG

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Do you mean that you can't successfully get your eMTA phone adapter backfed into your inside phone wiring?

You need to make sure you have disconnected your inside wiring fron the public telephone network at the NID, which is the network interface box that the telco installed on the outside of your home.  Even if your telco service has been discontinued,  there can still be talk battery voltage on the phone line and that needs to be isolated from your inside wiring for the eMTA to be backfed into the inside wiring.

Otherwise, explain more, as I will be here to help you through your issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your help! I am NOT trying to backfeed into the phone wiring. I literally have the cable modem, fax machine, base unit for the cordless phone on the same desk. I am running a 10 foot phone cord from the back of the eMTA to the base unit of the phone and that works no problem. Now, if I try to use a splitter between the modem and the base unit for the phone I get a loud pop about 2 seconds after I have a dialtone and then the calls seem to have interference. If I do not use the splitter and just take the phone cord from the eMTA and plug it into my Epson all in one and then run a cord from the Epson to the base I also get the problem. I also tried using different phone cords and that does not correct the issue either.

Cable Expert

That seems simple enough, so the first thing I'll offer is to replace the cord coming out of the eMTA's L1/L2 jack with a 2 conductor cord.  That is because, the eMTA has capability for 2 lines, and the L1/L2 jack supplies talk battery voltage to both lines on the L1/L2 jack even if you only have one line with Comcast. 

Maybe there is a short or other wiring issue with one of your equipment's RJ ports causing the voltages from both lines shorting together, even if it's only 1 of the wires.

Here's what to look for in a RJ11 cord with only 2 wires instead of the normal 4 wire cord that handles 2 lines.  You will see this cord only has the two center conductors on the plug and will only give you the talk battery voltage for the L1 coming out of the eMTA.

When I do installs & repairs it is mandatory I have these with for times that the line 1 and line 2 need to be separated.

Radio Shack might have a cord with just the two center wires available.  Alot of 2 line small business phones also come with these cords.

2wire.PNG

Your other option from letting the line 2 voltage out to your equipment is to use a splitter like this that splits the line 1 and line 2 to separate jacks, and then plug your equipment cord into the L1 only jack.  Radio Shack does sell these.

jack2.PNG

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Ahhhhh, I figured it out. The Epson all in one is what is screwing everything up. I watched the screen on it when I turned the phone on. Apparently it knows there is a dialtone on the line and says "fax ready". As soon as it says that I get the click on the line. Before this I did realize I had a 2 wire phone cord adapter from my old HP all in one. I tried plugging it right into the eMTA and the Epson - same issue. Not having the fax plugged in is not a huge deal and I'll live with it. If I really need to fax something I'll just plug it back in (maybe 5x a year). Otherwise I'll check out Epson's troubleshooting and go from there. Thanks for all your help!

Cable Expert

Glad to hear your have it figured out and all is well.  I appreciate your followup.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon