Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Possible to reactivate voice on my old Modem?

ANSWERED
New Poster

Possible to reactivate voice on my old Modem?

I got a letter from Comcast, which asks me to get a newer modem to make use of their improved speed.

So, I followed the instruction and received this Arris TG862 Modem (which also has a 4 port + wifi router built in).  I activated my internet and voice on this new Modem.  No problem, everything is fine.

I have been using LINKSYS WRT54G Wireless router at home and I like it.  I still want to use it.  So, I connect my LINKSYS router to this Arris TG862 modem/router.  My work station and network printer are both connected to my LINKSYS router.

Everything is still fine except that then it is hard for me to configure my network so I can connect to my home work station through RDP from outside (because of the added layer of network).

So, I would like to revert to my old Arris cable modem (which is a modem only) + my LINKSYS router.  But, I am not able to activate the phone service on the old modem.  Internet is fine with the old modem.

Will comcast be able to help me activate my phone service on the old modem if I call them?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Re: Possible to reactivate voice on my old Modem?

Any higher end EA series Linksys / Cisco or Netgear router or Airport Extreme will have parental controls to control the kids stuff.

As long as you keep the eMTA for the telephone portion, you will be charged the $7 per month rental for one or both devices rented from Comcast.  

There is only one eMTA D3 telephony modem that can be purchased and provisioned for Comcast voice & HSI.  Select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers sell the Arris TM722G eMTA telephony modem.  This is not a nationwide program and it is getting harder to find.  A list of BB's with Connecion Centers is here.

Unless you have a lower end Comcast HSI package, that WRT54G, it will not do 20 some or higher speeds. You will get better performance even with your internal LAN with a updated dual band N router.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

I would keep the new gateway just for phone, and you can provision a HSI standard D3 modem for your HSI.  You can have it that way.

Hopefully you are aware, a WRT54G will not do full speeds that Comcast HSI now offers as it is too old and the processor can't handle the higher speeds.  You should at lease purchase a new Cisco / Linksys N router to hook behind your cable modem.  You are limiting your speeds with that dinosaur.  I takes those out all the time and replace with a new router that can do the higher speeds.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

JayInAlg wrote:

I would keep the new gateway just for phone, and you can provision a HSI standard D3 modem for your HSI.  You can have it that way.

Hopefully you are aware, a WRT54G will not do full speeds that Comcast HSI now offers as it is too old and the processor can't handle the higher speeds.  You should at lease purchase a new Cisco / Linksys N router to hook behind your cable modem.  You are limiting your speeds with that dinosaur.  I takes those out all the time and replace with a new router that can do the higher speeds.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Actually Comcast did send me a cable modem which I think is D3, but I have to double check at home.  That modem doesn't have the phone jack, so I called Comcast and they send me this TG862.  

I can certainly split the coaxial and let one feed into the TG862 just for the phone and one feed into the D3 modem.  

But I'll have to pay rental charge for both the TG862 and the D3 modem, correct?  My comcast bill is already $170 a month.

BTW, I am not aware that my LINKSYS WRT54G router is too dinausourish to accommodate the high speed.  

What router do you suggest me to buy?  I want one with great parental control.  In particular I want one that can let me deny all but allow only a few websites.  I haven't found such a router yet.  Everywhere online people are talking about installing AVG Family or Norton Firewall. I don't like that idea for at least 2 reasons: 1) such approach will not work on iPad or iPod Touch, which my children use a lot; 2) Even if they use a windows system and have AVG or Norton installed, I have to physically remove the children from the computer desk to disallow some websites.  I don't like it. I'd prefer to control it from the router.

Cable Expert

Any higher end EA series Linksys / Cisco or Netgear router or Airport Extreme will have parental controls to control the kids stuff.

As long as you keep the eMTA for the telephone portion, you will be charged the $7 per month rental for one or both devices rented from Comcast.  

There is only one eMTA D3 telephony modem that can be purchased and provisioned for Comcast voice & HSI.  Select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers sell the Arris TM722G eMTA telephony modem.  This is not a nationwide program and it is getting harder to find.  A list of BB's with Connecion Centers is here.

Unless you have a lower end Comcast HSI package, that WRT54G, it will not do 20 some or higher speeds. You will get better performance even with your internal LAN with a updated dual band N router.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon