Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Porting telephone numbers for xfinity voice

New Poster

Porting telephone numbers for xfinity voice

Like many people who have problems porting I too have fallen victim to comcast sales saying they could port my number from Vonage to comcast.  After 3 failed attempts and countless hours I spoke with one comcast manager who stated that comcast has no policy in place with Verizon to port phone numbers between geographic regions. If anyone goes to the FCC website about porting you will see language that says that crossing geographic regions MAY not be possible. It does not say is not possible. I further raised my compliant to comcast executive team where someone called me about my compliant and was only able to tell me that comcast cannot port between geographic regions.  He was unable to provide my an explanation of why.  I should point out to everyone that I have not moved so I have not physically crossed Geographic regions.  I further contacted Vonage whom has no problem porting numbers across geographic areas. I further contacted Verizon whom has the agreement with Comcast for xfinity voice and the representative told me that they do not have a problem with porting across geographic regions. So as it stands this is a Comcast problem. The billion dollar corporation is unwilling to satisfy it customers by allowing porting across geographic areas. COMCAST I would like to see this agreement that says that you will not port numbers across geographic boundries and an explanation as to why you are too cheap to make this happen to provide a valuable customer service to your customer base.

Valued Contributor

Re: Porting telephone numbers for xfinity voice

"Under the Federal Communications Commission’s “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers, including interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers, and keep your existing phone number. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers."

I dont know of any 'hard wired' home phone providers who allow a long distance port . Cell phones or services like Vonage....maybe. Because they are considered portable. Not hard connected land lines though.

From this wording on the FCC website  it says "Under the Federal Communications Commission’s “local number portability” (LNP) rules, so long as you remain in the same geographic area, you can switch telephone service providers " -so I doubt Comcast has any control over it. FCC says no and they make the rules.

The part you are reading "If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you. Therefore, subscribers remaining in the same geographic area can switch from a wireless, wireline, or VoIP provider to any other wireless, wireline or VoIP provider and still keep their existing phone numbers " doesnt mean Comcast has the choice and is denying you , they have strict FCC rules they have to follow. It is the FCC's polite way of saying no, it isnt going to happen.  

source-

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

New Poster

Re: Porting telephone numbers for xfinity voice

While I agree in part. You did not read the part where I stated that I did not move. I did not change my geographic area. Reading the FCC website as you quoted is grey at best. It does not say as long as the phone number stays in the same geographic area it says, " If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you." As I stated in the post I did not move I still reside in my same residence. Xfinity voice is not hard wired connection. Xfinity phone is a VOIP service. It is using the internet to provide phone service.  A hard wired connection stems from have a pair of copper lines run from out side the home that is connect to a large pair of wires like a 600 pair plus that is trunked all the way back to the local switch. Going through comcast,the phone service is uses coax and the line out side your home is connected to a larger coax cable that carries the signal back to a comcast switch. These are two different locations.