New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Porting old number from Vonage - a nightmare

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Porting old number from Vonage - a nightmare

But, I see that I am not alone. And, the run-around I'm getting from customer service both at Vonage and Comcast is outrageous. Can someone give me a phone number where I can speak with someone who can take care of porting my phone number from Vonage to Comcast?

It's been going on for 20 days now. I don't have a working phone. I've had that number for 10+ years.

I cancelled my account with Vonage before the number was ported because a Comcast rep told me that I should do it, as everything looked ok "on her end". Now, the number is not ported, Vonage disconnected it, and I've been spending hours on the phone either with Vonage or Comcast to try to resolve. it.

I filed complaints today with FCC for both companies.

Accepted Solution

Re: Porting old number from Vonage - a nightmare

Thank you for your offer to help. It's already taken care of. I ended up contacting the Vonage Executive Response Team and they reactivated my number at Vonage free of charge, then Comcast requested the transfer again, and it went through fine.

It was an extremely frustrating process. There should be an easier way between phone providers. Customers should not have to go through such a hassle for transferring a number from one company to the other.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

I think you will need to call Vonage and set up a new account with them and tell them you would like your old number.  Once you do this,  you will probably need to call Comcast and start he porting process again.  Comcast will probably cancel the account for you when they have ported the number. Before you start this process again, you might want to make sure the number has not been ported to Comcast yet.  If you have to port the number again, you might have to wait 72 hours because that is usually the time it takes it takes to port a number.  Comcast's phone number is 1-800-266-2278 and Vonage's telephone number is 1-800-968-8720.

Frequent Visitor

Well, that's what seems to be the process to follow. The problem is that Vonage charges me to open a new account, and when I agreed to the charge, because I want it done, they transferred me again to someone who gave me a vonage number that a Comcast rep would need to call and leave a message.

Vonage is saying that they can release the number without having to set up a new account.

If someone from the porting department from Comcast calls this number: 732-444-6612 and leaves a message with a phone number to call back, Vonage is saying that they'll call back within 48 hours, and the porting can happen without an active line or account.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your concern, and giving me the phone number. I know them by heart. I've been eating up my mobile minutes trying to resolve this.

Regular Contributor

Good day, 

My apologies for the inconveniences you are going throught with the porting of your number, please check your private messages here. I would like to help you with this, Thanks -Vic.

Thank you
Comcast Vic.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your offer to help. It's already taken care of. I ended up contacting the Vonage Executive Response Team and they reactivated my number at Vonage free of charge, then Comcast requested the transfer again, and it went through fine.

It was an extremely frustrating process. There should be an easier way between phone providers. Customers should not have to go through such a hassle for transferring a number from one company to the other.

Frequent Visitor

I'm glad I read this before I did anything else. I'm trying to upgrade my bundle, adding the Comcast VOIP to my internet/TV package- since I now have Vonage phone.

I just can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether or not I can port my old Vonage number.

(207-449-****)

I've talked to many Comcast csr's - all over the world, it would seem. Some say I can; some say I can't.  I know they work on commission, so there's really no compelling reason to believe them when they try to sell me the bundle. (I am now paying $10/month more than the price I was quoted for my current bundle, because the CSR promised I would not have to pay extra for a second TV. Alas, I do pay extra.)

And from what I';ve read in many differetnt forums, the chances of a successful Vonage>Comcast port are slim, even when it is is theoretcially possible.

Anyone here who can tip the scales to a more credible answer?

Frequent Visitor

Well, eventually it will work if you stay with the problem. But, I did receive one good advice from a Comcast rep: DO NOT CANCEL your existing account until your number was successfully ported to Comcast. It works well now, and I have just one bill to pay. Before I was paying separate bills for phone, TV and Internet. So, my life is a little simpler. Just the ordeal in July that I went through is something I wish I did not have to experience. And, probably most customers don't have to go through it.

Give it a good 15 days for your phone number to move from another company to Comcast. they'll tell you that the porting can happen in 1 day. Don't trust that statement.

Frequent Visitor

LOL. Thanks.

Yes. One of the csr's (in India, I think) told me that I could not port my old Vonage number over, until I cancelled that account And I thought: "Yeah, right!"

One csr told me that there was a problem with my telephone exchange, and that's why it could not be ported. But then I read that I could possibly solve this problem by filling out some paperwork.

I do know that a few years back, I tried to change numbers for a work-at-home job that would not allow Vonage. Comcast told me that could not be done, so I cancelled the Vonage and went with a new number.  But the job fell through, and as it turns out, they were wrong about not being able to use Vonage.

The Comcast VOIP was terrible: bad voice quality, no full duplex (sort of like an old-fashoined radio, where you had to say "Over"). And I could not do a thing online with my Comcast VOIP. I really missed Vonage.I ended up crawling back to them, but I had been grandfathered into a really good price. I lost that bargain.

Bad experience.

I don't know what to do, or whom to believe. I guess you just have to ask at least 20 different people, and record every call. Then pray a lot!  ;-)

Frequent Visitor

Prayers help! At least to keep you sane through the process. Smiley Happy

New Poster

I have been going through this for the past 12 months and still am paying for Vonage and still cant use Comcast voice service while still paying for it...

I can't get anyone to follow through with helping to get this done

Porting a number is such a common thing these days, but I cannot get anyone at Comcast to help rectify this for me..

Glad to hear someone who was also running into this was able to get it done

I have paid out almost $450 to Vonage during the time of this issue

Frequent Visitor

I'm really sorry. That sounds terrible. Try contacting the Vonage Executive Response Team online at this link http://www.vonage.com/corporate/corp_contact.php and tell them what the problem is.

They got back to me in about 24 hours, and in the end it worked out.

good luck. gotta go