Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone service with Comcast

New Poster

Phone service with Comcast

I just bought the triple play package and they are coming next week to install. I live in a condo and never had the land line activated, just always used my cell.  I bought a new phone set and looking at the installation I can't tell if I need to have the hard wired land line in the wall activated or will the phone service from Comcast through their network work without it?  

Thanks, Sherry

Cable Expert

Re: Phone service with Comcast

If you bought a cordless phone system, the main base would just plug into the Comcast modem. The additional handsets communicate with the base wirelessly, so they don't need to be pluged into the phone system at all.  If you want Comcast to energize all of the phone outlets in your home so it works like a traditional phone system, they can do that too. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Re: Phone service with Comcast

slmoran2567 wrote:

I just bought the triple play package and they are coming next week to install. I live in a condo and never had the land line activated, just always used my cell.  I bought a new phone set and looking at the installation I can't tell if I need to have the hard wired land line in the wall activated or will the phone service from Comcast through their network work without it?  

Thanks, Sherry

With phone service from Comcast, the modem provides both Internet and phone service.  All three services use the coaxial cable, not the phone line from the street.  You can use the phone wiring in your house to get phone service to other rooms, but you need to disconnect the phone line at the phone company's Network Interface Box.  The Comcast tech should be able to do that when they activate your service.