New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone service through purchased modem

ANSWERED
New Poster

Phone service through purchased modem

I have the Comcast Triple Play service and am thinking of purchasing a modem instead of renting from Comcast.  Do the modems on the approved Comcast DOCSIS Device Compatibility list also handle the phone service part too or do I need to stick with Comcast's modem?

Accepted Solution

Re: Phone service through purchased modem

by

Current consensus is that the only customer-owned telephony modem approved by Comcast is the Arris TM722G, which you must purchase from your local Best Buy (if available) that has a Comcast Communications Center/kiosk. About $150 for the modem plus professional installation. Some stores/areas will allow a "self install". Also be advised that some market areas do not allow customer owned eMTA's at all. It's best to call in a see what your market area's policies are.

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/_docs/ARRIS_Modems_Comcast_Xfinity_Best_Buy.pdf

View answer in context
Connection Expert

Current consensus is that the only customer-owned telephony modem approved by Comcast is the Arris TM722G, which you must purchase from your local Best Buy (if available) that has a Comcast Communications Center/kiosk. About $150 for the modem plus professional installation. Some stores/areas will allow a "self install". Also be advised that some market areas do not allow customer owned eMTA's at all. It's best to call in a see what your market area's policies are.

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/_docs/ARRIS_Modems_Comcast_Xfinity_Best_Buy.pdf

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Has anyone purchased a modem from Best Buy for voice as opposed to paying every month forever?

Silver Problem Solver

Read the solution posted above, plenty of people have purchased the TM722G from BestBuy....

The thing to remember is not all Comcast markets allow customer owned eMTA modems.

Regular Visitor

I am also looking to purchase a modem that will work with Comcast, anyone get this modem at Best Buy and were you abe to get it to work yourself??

Cable Expert

I bought the TM722G at Best Buy.  Some markets area's it is a tech visit, some will let you do a self install, then bring the old eMTA to the local Comcast office.

It depends on the regional policies if you can do it yourself, and the Comcast rep at the Best Buy can tell you when they get you setup.  The Comcast rep need to add the unit to your Comcast account before you walk over the the checkout to pay for it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon