Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone service not working

New Poster

Phone service not working

Why dose my phone not work when there is a outage and I have a battery backup that I paid $35.00 for.

Valued Contributor

Re: Phone service not working

If there is a pole down or the lines are cut somehow no providers phone service will work, it isnt just Comcast. For example, in my area we had a tornado last year. There were poles and lines down all over for all of the phone companies here. None of them had their service  working. After the main lines were fixed a lot of people still didn't have service because the line to their house was down. I have noticed also that with my comcast phone that if we have a power outage sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It was explained to me by an awesome tech support guy that the main lines and equipment that run under and over the roads use electricity. If the lines that need electricity lose it your service will go down no matter what.

New Poster

I picked up a newer, supposedly faster modem today from Comcast.  It is a "WirelessGateway" and I followed the instructions connecting it.  Since then, my land line phone service is not working.  There were two ports that I could connect the phone line to, Tel 1 and Tel 2.  I tried both and the light blinks but still no phone service.  My internet and TV are working.  I have called Comcast from my cell phone every 15 mins. since 3:30 and cannot get through.  "Please call back later."  What's going on?

Regular Contributor

In response to pk27,

Which lights are blinking?  If the US/DS light is blinking, your modem is not getting any cable signal and you should check the coaxial cable connections on the modem and wall outlet.  If your telephone light blinks when you pick up the phone, but you do not get a dial tone, you should check to make sure the phone cord is securely pllugged into the back of the modem.  If it is, you can try plugging a working phone into the appropoate phone jack on the back of the modem because you could be having a problem with your inside phone wiring.  If the phone does not work, a modem reboot might help.  Other than this, you might need to contact Comcast and have them make sure your line is provisioned properly.  You can try emailing we_can_help@cable.comcast.com if you are not able to reach Comcast by phone.  If you only have one phone line, you will most likely be using the line 1 jack on the modem.

Regular Contributor

I forgot to tell you this in my first post,but you have to call in to have Comcast activate your modem before it will work.  The email department might be able to help you with this if you cannot call them.

New Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I did/do have my phone jack in line 1, I re-booted, and did activate the modem through Comcast.  It was after activating that my land line does not have a dial tone.  Would you believe that 10 mins. ago, I finally reached CC customer svc.  She re-booted and still nothing.  A repairman is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  I do pay for the Service Protection Plan, so I shouldn't be charged.

Thanks again.