Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone service is out.

Regular Visitor

Phone service is out.

My phone service is completely out.  TV and internet is okay.  I have tried all I can think of to reset it but no luck.  What can I do?

Problem Solver

Re: Phone service is out.

If rebooting your gateway didn't fix the problem you need to call comcast on your cellphone.

New Poster

Just got home mine is out too, but cable and internet is fine. Phone says no line

Regular Visitor

I finally tried texting them but what they told me to do didn't work. Any ideas? What part of the country are you in?

Contributor

1. Go to your modem
  2. Look for the TEL1 / TEL2 lights on the front of your modem.
    • If one is lit, then your phone service is active on that particular telephone port. Continue reading.
    • If none are lit, call Comcast Customer care and inform them that your telephone service has become deactived and needs to be preprovisioned.
    • If all lights are flashing in sync, there is a severe telephone line shortage and a technician will need to come repair your phone lines.  Reach behind the modem and disconnect the telephone cable to ensure no further damage occurs to the modem.  You can plug a phone directly into the modem to use the service, but a technician will need to come out and repair your homes phone wiring in order to restore service to the entire house.  Once you unplug the bad phone line, the lights will eventually stop flashing and you will see which port the phone service is active on.
  3. If a TEL # light is on, look behind the modem and ensure that the telephone line is plugged into the corresponding telephone port.  There will be two telephone ports and one to four ethernet ports.  Ensure you are plugging into the telephone port that has an active light.  Ethernet ports are for computers only so don't try to get phone service from these.
  4. If you plug in and there is still no phone service.  Make sure that the telephone line that is plugged into the modem is still plugged into the wall / phone it runs to on the other end.
  5. If all else fails, take your phone and plug it directly into the active phone port on the modem and check to see if you have service.  This may give you temporary service until a technician can come out and repair the configuration/phone wiring.

Final tip.  Your comcast phone service comes from the modem, not the telephone pole.  The phone service for your house is fed from that modem and it's telephone wire.  If this becomes disconnected, service to the rest of your home will become disconnected.  Also, not all homes are wired in this manner.  Many times technicians will install phone service in a "stand-alone" configuration where a cordless phone base is wired directly to the modem due to the age / damage of the phone wiring in the home.  Inspect your wiring set up (take pictures if necessary) before you start disconnecting cables.

Good luck!

New Poster

What if your phone service is VOIP?  There are no telephone lines in the house being used.

Cable Expert

granjan047 wrote:

My phone service is completely out.  TV and internet is okay.  I have tried all I can think of to reset it but no luck.  What can I do?

Did you get this resolved?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Same problem here.  No phone service. I tried rebooting the modem and all still no phone.