Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone service Chicago IL 60618

New Poster

Phone service Chicago IL 60618

Is anyone else in my area experiencing a disruption of telephone service?  All lights on my modem are flashing green, except for the telephone 1 and telepone 2 lights.  Oddly, the phone service is the only thing I am having a problem with.  I am wondering if phone lines were damaged from weekend storms.  I have contacted customer service twice and they cannot provide any answers.  I would prefer not to waste my time dealing with customer service and the "fixes" that repeatedly are tried and repeatedly fail if there is something systemic going on.

Cable Expert

Re: Phone service Chicago IL 60618

No reports of any CDV issues.  If it was storm related, you high speed internet would be out too, since  they use the same coax cable.

Start by pressing the small indented reset button on the eMTA telephony modem and give it 5 minutes to reboot.

You can also check your modem signals on your web browser by clicking on this LINK and share the downstream power levels, downstream signal to noise and upstream power levels.  Post those levels so we can see if they are in spec.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Been there.  Done that.  Didn't do anything.  So, there cannot be a problem with just the phone line, exclusive of problems with the cable?  I do not understand well enough how the telephone connection works through the cable, but I had thought that it does still work somehow in conjunction with the telephone wiring.    Is my modem the problem?  By the way, before this happened, I was having problems with crackly connections and losing connections -- I had attributed it to my cordless phone.  I am unsure if this was a precursor to the current problem or not.  Of course, the problem now is generally with the line -- wired and/or cordless.  I also remember that when the tech initially came in to set up my voice that he tried other connections in my apartment but the lines were "dead."  I am wondering if this line is now "dead" as well.  The connection checker says that the line is "under maintenance," but no one can give me a straight answer on what that means.  Again, I am having someone come out to look at it so maybe that's all that can be done.

Cable Expert

You might just be having issues with your telephone inside wiring.

You first need to unplug the inside wiring from the eMTA L1/L2 jack and plug in a known good wired phone directly to the eMTA and test it.  Don't depend on testing with a cordless phone.

If the issue is your inside wiring and since the inside wiring is owned by the homeowner just like your electrical & plumbing, you can hire someone local that does low voltage wiring, or hire Comcast at a flat rate charge.

So give it a test with a phone connected directly to the eMTA to decide on if it's a Comcast issue or inside wiring issue.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I have tested that and no it does not work with a brand new wired or a cordless phone (see previous post).  So, if I understand correctly, are you telling me it can have nothing to do with Comcast?  Common sense timing seems to tell me that it has something to do with the storms.  What does "under maintenance" mean?  Have there been no other reports of lack of Voip service in the area? 

Cable Expert

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified of your CDV issues and will get the right local people involved.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Maybe the eMTA has fried.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

Are you still having issues with your modem? We may need to get someone out there to swap it out.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.