Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone not working: busy signal

Regular Visitor

Phone not working: busy signal

Is this constant busy signal part of an outage?  

Service Expert

Re: Phone not working: busy signal

watson313 wrote:

That is one indicator.....

Try rebooting your Gateway and let it sit for 5-6 minutes until all of the lights are back and the unit is showing ONLINE....

Then try.....

If that doesn't work, call into Comcast and tell them your issues...

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I have no PHONE

Service Expert

draglady wrote:

I have no PHONE

Reboot the gateway for starters.... if that doesn't return your phone service then call into Comcast and report it.

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

For those of us not so tech savvy, what does it mean to "reboot the gateway"?  My phone is not working since sometime Wednesday and has a busy signal only.n  Thanks!

geek46 wrote:

watson313 wrote:

That is one indicator.....

Try rebooting your Gateway and let it sit for 5-6 minutes until all of the lights are back and the unit is showing ONLINE....

Then try.....

If that doesn't work, call into Comcast and tell them your issues...

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Service Expert

Remove the power plug. If your gateway has battery installed, remove this as well. Sit for 30 seconds. ... plug back in, and reinstall battery if so equipped. Allow the unit to reacuire the network and see all lights On....

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Busy signal for days here...no phone service...whats up?
Regular Visitor

The Comcast serviceman diagnosed a bad modem card, so he gave me a new modem and the problem is solved.  I love the service men in our area.

New Poster

I have the same problem.  Everything was working properly until I had them install Gateway Wireless Connection.  Now only one phone works (the one hooked up to the computer), and I'm being told that the jacks are no good.  I have a phone in each bedroom and a cordless in the living room, and; now neither of these phones are working.  I'm getting a signal that says the phones are out of range and that there is no power in the base.  What is going on here.  I'm thinking of returning to AT&T.  When I purchased my computer in 2010, this same thing happened and I was told that I needed new phones.  Needless to say, that didn't correct the problem.  Two reps were sent to my home and they couldn't fix the problem.  The third rep came out and solved the problem right away.   I mean come on.  Do I have to go out an purchase new phones, when they are telling me that the jacks are no good. As much as we are being charged for this service, the least they can do is send a more knowledgeable rep to solve the problem.

New Poster

Rebooting doesn't work.  Neither does disconnecting.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, geek46. I got your answer too late this time. I called and got the automated message of an offer for comcast to reboot my modem, so they did it remotely. It took a long time, like maybe 60-90 seconds, but all the lights came back on steady on my modem and then my phone worked again. I still don't know what made it go out. I had not touched any of the wires, etc.  I will keep your instructions to try it myself if it happens again.

geek46 wrote:
Remove the power plug. If your gateway has battery installed, remove this as well. Sit for 30 seconds. ... plug back in, and reinstall battery if so equipped. Allow the unit to reacuire the network and see all lights On....

Frequent Visitor

gnick19 wrote:
Busy signal for days here...no phone service...whats up?

Try what geek46 suggests to reboot your gateway or call comcast and have them reboot your modem remotely (that's what worked for me).

Frequent Visitor

That's great, but when I had a serviceman come out when my phones weren't working a few months ago, they charged me $50!

watson313 wrote:

The Comcast serviceman diagnosed a bad modem card, so he gave me a new modem and the problem is solved.  I love the service men in our area.

Frequent Visitor

kinky8299 wrote:

Rebooting doesn't work.  Neither does disconnecting.

It sounds like your problem is complex. I hadn't done anythng to my modem, etc when I got the busy signal problem. I hope you find a knowledgeable service person to fix it soon.