Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone muted intermittently

Frequent Visitor

Phone muted intermittently

Since having the X1 platform installed, my normally reliable voice service has become intermittently problematic.  It doesn't matter whether I can the caller or the recipient, I can hear the person on the other side, but they can't hear me.  This applies to any call - even in interacting with IVR systems where the other side is expecting hear my button presses.  I have even encountered it (many times) calling Comcast.  It is essentially like there is only one-way communication.

Sometimes, I can hang up and call back and it'll work fine.  Usually, it will continue to be a problem until I cold reset the modem.  I have tested with a hard-wired phone directly attached to the modem and the results are the same.  TV and Internet work fine - no complaints whatsoever.

I have called Comcast and they do the typical modem reset, but it doesn't seem to help.  I am hesitant to have them send a tech out because the problem is intermittent and I'd hate to have to get someone out here, only to not be able to replicate the problem.

Any ideas?

New Poster

Re: Phone muted intermittently

I have had the same problems that started in February and is still happening intermittently.  Additionally, some of my incoming callers said that some calls do not connect or ring, but a computerized voice announces "Good Bye" and disconnects the call. I show no call history or missed calls so I only know about it when the caller can get through and tells me of the problem.

Frequent Visitor

That's strange.  I haven't gotten any reports of the computerized voice, but I did have one other odd thing happen to me.

I was on the phone with my boss (I frequently work from home) and using the Comcast landline.  We were well into an hour long call when I suddenly heard a computerized voice announce "call recording has ended".

Of course, what ensued was a very awkward moment of him asking me whether I was recording the call and me asking him the same.  Neither of us admitted to knowingly recording the call, but I have no reason to believe that he was.

Not sure if this plays into the issue at all, but it's something I had never experienced until we had the system upgraded to the 'X1 Platform'.

New Poster

The same thing is happening to us.  Comcast has hung up on me thinking I was not still on the line even after I explained that I would still be there.  It has been a nightmare.  I work from home often so this is a huge issue for me as a professional.