Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone Service out in Scranton, PA?

Contributor

Phone Service out in Scranton, PA?

This is weird. I have my comcast cable internet and tv both working, yet the phone service seems to be down. The modem has every light on it blinking, except for telephone 2. Anyone know what's up? Usually when the modem is blinking I have no phone or internet.

Can't call comcast since the phone is down, which I'd really rather not do anyway. Every time I call I get through that ridiculous "verify all your info or we won't talk to you at all" garbage only to find out no one there ever knows anything about my local service being interrupted. (I spent a good half hour one night on the line with a rep there while my internet was out and they had no clue about it, even when it came back on while the guy was telling me there were no scheduled downtimes).

Cable Expert

Re: Phone Service out in Scranton, PA?

Always start CDV issues by resetting the eMTA telephony modem.  There is a small recessed button on the back where the cables attach, you will need a toothpick or some poker to press it.

Also unplug the phone cord on the L1/L2 jack and plug in a known good wired phone to the L1/L2 jack and test it.

If you can't call Comcast, you can do a online chat https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/

There's been no reports of CDV outages anywhere, but you might be the first to report it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Already both reset the modem, unplugged/removed the battery, when I first noticed the phone was out, and that did nothing to help. And have done it a few more times since. Modem is still flashing (every light flashing except the phone 2 light, which is steady), still no phone, and internet and tv still works.

Actually really don't want comcast customer support. No one there seems to know anything about anything, Ever. Have used both phone help and chat many times before, and have never gotten any actual useful help from them.

What I don't get is why the modem has all the lights blinking but I still have internet. Even the battery light is blinking.

Contributor

Again, more strangeness. Phone is back on, for now, yet after resetting, unplugging the modem/battery, everything seems normal again, but the modem is still blinking (again, all lights blink except for Telephone 2). Just plain weird.

Contributor

Well, back to the phone being out yet again. not sure when it went out, but it's out again now. Modem is also still blinking, so not sure what's going on with comcast tonight.

Contributor

It's as I guessed, the comcast chat help is getting me absolutely nowhere. First off it's ridiculous that they need all your info short of blood type to talk to you, then the rep seems overly focused on calling my modem a EMTA instead of helping, and has not offered any actual help so far. This is getting ridiculous. 30 minutes spent chatting and no help.

Next step is theys end out help to the house, which we do not want. This is nuts.