Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone Service Down

New Poster

Phone Service Down

We are unable to make or receive calls from our home phone. If you pick up the receiver, you hear a busy signal, yet none of our phones are off the hook.  And, Comcast's site says there is nothing wrong with our phones.  If you call our home phone from a cell phone, it goes directly to voicemail.  

New Poster

Re: Phone Service Down

I am also having problems. Can't dial out. No dial tone.

New Poster

I have the same problem for the last few days. I have plugged a phone directly into Tel 1 in the back of the modem and it rings but that is the only way I can get a phone to work. I have reset the modem and it didn't help. Don't know what else to do. Very frustrated!!!!!

New Poster

Same problem in Robesonia

Frequent Visitor

Make sure your phone is plugged into the tel 1 connection from your cable modem, or that the tel 1 connection is securely plugged into a nearby telephone outlet (sometimes the "keeper tab" is broken on the connecting line and the connection comes loose).  tel 2 is apparently intended for a second outlet and will not provide dial tone on a single line connection.

Frequent Visitor

If the phone rings and is able to dial out when connected to the modem, the service is not your problem.

Look at the connection from the modem to your outlet (input) to your wall outlet.  If that is secure, check the phone box outside where your extensions are tied together and by GENTLY pulling, check for broken wires or loose screws.  You might also want to try a different wire between the modem and wall outlet.

New Poster

Respectfully it is not an equipment issue at our end. The phone was working fine until tonight and now if you dial home it goes directly to comcast voice mailbox. Had my kids check and all phones are in the chargers and indicating they are charging. Internet is working fine along with the cable.
Frequent Visitor

sorry AIRMATIC 906, the reply was intended for Taurus 22.
Official Employee

Airmedic, do you have lights on tel 1? And if not power cycle your modem and see

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for your recommendations.
When I woke up this morning I found to not have internet service. Called Comcast and I can't talk to a human. The automated service reset but it didn't help. Using my 3G on my phone to type and send this. I have wifi and cable. All lights are on.
Frequent Visitor

My phone service went down Saturday night. Comcast was here today telling me my inside phone line went bad! Never in my life has that happen. Not a good answer.
Official Employee

Q, did it get fixed?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

My mother recently bundled her cable service with her phone service with Comcast through the recommendation of me and we have had an HORRIBLE experience with this process.  Up to and including the same exact problem you are experiencing.  I have been on the phone with Comcast on numerous occasions to get this issue resolved as well as trying to get someone of authority to hear us out regarding this issue to no avail.  I have just about had it with Comcast!  Because of this issue my mother has decided to to drop not just the phone service with Comcast that she recently obtained, but her cable service to that she has had forever and move it all to Verizon.  I have never experienced a bad experience with Comcast, but based on the experiene that my mother is having, I too have decided to drop my cable, phone and internet with Comcast and have an appt. scheduled for 12/26 to replace Comcast's bundle service with Verizon's.  The sad part about all of this is that Comcast seems to not even care!!  I am so sorry that you are experiencing this issue.  I know EXACTLY what you are going through!!  

Frequent Visitor

NO!! I was given a line of crappie that the problem is in my house line's. I have owned homes for 36 years & never heard that before. They are really bad & not being truthful.
Official Employee

Q, it is possible. What are the lights on line 1 on the modem doing? Can you plug a phone directly into your modem bypassing your house wiring?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

The phone light 1 is on & 2 is not. The phone is now plugged directly to the modem. Base phone now in wrong room & older wall phone doesn't work at all.
Official Employee

If you have dial tone out of line 1 with a phone directly in the modem there's a problem with the phone wiring in the house. Put the phones back where they were, and make sure all phone lines are snug and in the jacks

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

The guy from comcast said that. Why would I put it back to square one? To test again?
Frequent Visitor

And, after 2 weeks in the house the lines go bad?
Official Employee

Its not that they went bad necessarily, but somethings not making a good connection along the way. I'll work with you to troubleshoot further if you want. If you go back to square one does the light on tel1 change, it should be solid

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

When the tech was there why didnt he fix it?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help. The technician went through all this crappie & gave up blamingthe in house line's. He was nice about things. Some thing happened Sat night. Sunday wife & phone out. Did a reboot for internet but no luck with phone.
Frequent Visitor

Wifi not wife got reboot. Wife another story.
New Poster

no phone since monday evening and they can not get a tech. out until sunday morning. not very smart business.

New Poster

Oh Wonderful! I've been reading everyone's post. My next step is to call Comcast. Doesn't is seem odd that so many of us experienced the same problem at about the same time. The internet works just fine and I also have a business line but the phone connection died??? Hmm. Well wish me luck!

New Poster

Here is the diagram for my phone modem. This is different from my internet modem.
https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/emta/EMTAdiagram.pdf

To reset my modem I did the following thus morning:
- I made note of each wire going into the phone modem (coax cable, power cable, and my two telephone lines)
- Unplugged all wires
- Pressed the small Reset button on the back of the phone modem. Used tip of a pen for this.
- Observed all of the green lights flashing a few times, then all of the lights turned off. I'm thinking the backup battery inside is why the lights remained lit after I disconnected the wires. I wanted to completely reset the phone modem.
- Then I plugged in the power cable, next the coax cable, and waited about 10 seconds for the Comcast signal to reconnect with the modem. Lastly I reconnected my two telephone lines.

Above worked like a charm and we cancelled the Comcast service appointment + saved some $$$ because Comcast will charge for an appointment if you are not on their service plan.
Official Employee

Perfect eagle, just an FYI if that is the modem you are using for Internet and are paying for blast or higher you should upgrade it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thanks Andrew.   That modem is for the phones.   I have another Comcast modem for the internet, with a separate router that I had purchased.   One of my neighbors showed me a combined internet modem & router that he got from Comcast.  

New Poster

lucky you. i have done everything you did and still nothing i guess you got lucky.

Frequent Visitor

Stop

Frequent Visitor

Stop

Tags (1)
New Poster

Same issues here. Mine started with any incoming calls rang once and when I answered all I had was a dial tone.  Comcast reset it a few times and could only call out not get any calls in.  They reset it again & now I have nothing at all. Tech schedualed to come out Tuesday.  They better not tell me its my lines I will go off

New Poster

Something you might want to check out. Since my phone has been giving me issues I went online to check my account for incoming/missed/placed calls.  I have noticed the same day all this trouble started someone has been placing calls to a number in Massachusetts. I know no one there, and the calls have even been made since I have had no service at all

Frequent Visitor

My phone service when down a week ago Saturday like did happen to many of us. I had Comcast out for the 4th time since the install 3 weeks ago.and, long story short, they are liars! My phone lines didn't just go dead as yours had. It is no coincident that all this trouble collapsed all our phone lines!?! They have issues & are trying to blame the customer. I am a NEW customer with NEW phones & NEW TV's but the wiring is bad? My internet went out again today. No answers just excuses. Now I have to go to contact Directv before 30 days are up!
New Poster

yes it doesnt do anything i need it to work

New Poster

y service has been out for a week no tone or sound have disability person at home need service so would like it reinstated now u like ur payments but when it comes to repair comcast is slow

New Poster

UPDATE to our no phone issue: 

We had a tech out here on Tues 12/17  He scratched his head a few times because none of this made any sense to him. He did go check our cable lines & even though he saw nothing wrong with them, he said they were older lines & a bit stiff so he & another guy went ahead & ran new lines (from the pole to the house).  After that was done I did have a dial tone on my phone again however I still could not receive any incoming calls, it kept going to voice mail. Well after doing some digging between the tech & who ever at the office he was talking to on the phone they had discovered that some how my phone was put on call forwarding (hence the no incoming calls)  & was being forwarded to some number in Mass. that belonged to a beauty supply place.  So for anyone else who is not receiving their incoming calls you might want them to check that out, see if some how your number is being call forwarded.

New Poster

I was updating & syncing my android with comcast's ,"update your devices", where I had to enter my acct. # and phone # in order to continue updating. Since then I have not received nor been able to make a phone call. I have , "reset", my modem several times, to no avail! The Phone Line 1 is connected properly, to the modem, jack & phone, and I stll have no "GREEN LIGHT" on the modem!!...Super frustrated!!
New Poster

mine is doing the same

New Poster

mine too.  anyone have any suggestions