Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone Goes Out When Internet Comes Down

Frequent Visitor

Phone Goes Out When Internet Comes Down

Here's a problem, my wife is bedridden, she is very very sick. If for any reason the internet goes down, the phones will no longer work. This poses a grave danger on the life of my wife.

She has a box called Guardian Medical, if for example, she starts choking and is unable to verbally call for help, all she has to do is press a button that is strapped on her wrist. It will immediately dial out to the Guardian Medical Help Line and they dispatch an EMT directly to our home.

Now if the Internet line comes down and with the phone not working and my wife is choking, she hits the button but cannot dial out, SHE WILL DIE.

So the phone line needs to be working indepedently and not dependent on the modem itself so that my wife's Guardian Medical box stays in operation 24/7.

Service Expert

Re: Phone Goes Out When Internet Comes Down

Unfortunately, that is the drawback to VoIP. Your phone service is tied to the interent and if it goes down, so does your phone service.

I am going to mention the obvious-you and your wife need phone service you can depend on to work.

Switch to a landline which is not dependent on the internet. Even if it costs you more money each month, the peace of mind you will have knowing someone can be reached in case of emergency is priceless.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Cable Expert

We need more details on your phone service, is it with Comcast Digital Voice?  Or another VOIP provider.

Contrary to Evie's statement, Comcast Digital Voice does not depend on the the internet to operate.  It does, though, share the same eMTA phone adapter unit as the cable modem.  With this shared unit, your internet can go down without affecting the CDV phone, or vice versa.  They can both go down due  to a signal issue either outside the home, or inside with the coax wiring / splitters and other equipment inside and outside the home.

Evie's statement does hold true for other VOIP providers such as Vonage that depend on the internet.

Please let us know for sure you do subscribe to Comcast Digital Voice service, and in the mean time, I've notified the Comcast Cares Team to get the right local people involved..

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Retired Administrator

Hi - thanks for posting. I just looked into this and you do have Comcast phone service (cdv). As Jay mentioned, it is possible for phone service to remain operational even if the internet is experiencing trouble. I reviewed your signals and other service factors and things appear to be working well. When do you experience trouble? Does this happen often?

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Service Expert

Jay, thank you for the clarification.

My statement was based on research I did and which said VoIP was dependent on an internet connection.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes everytime I notice on the modem box that the service is down, the phone never works. Is there a way to fix this? It happens at any given time, often time for no reason, weather is clear as a bell and BOOM! It goes down.

Even when I lose my internet connectivity, I have no way to call customer service to notify one of your tech staff that there is a problem and see if they can reinstablish the connection from their end w/o the need to send a tech guy over to fix it.

The solution that getting a seperate phone line is not affordable, we just don't have the budget for it. I am unemployed and my wife is on her SSD. The reason we switched with you is because out of all of the phone services available, you guys are the cheapest, which includes TV for my wife and internet because I am hearing impaired and need text to communicate.

Frequent Visitor

Hello? Anybody help me out here?

Cable Expert

Dete from Comcast answered you earlier, and had more questions.

Did you reply to him, or send him a email?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

You might want to check out this government website for  financially assisted "LifeLIne Phone Service."

http://www.lifeline.gov/lifeline_Consumers.html

Frequent Visitor

CC_Dete wrote:

Hi   - thanks for posting. I just looked into this and you do have Comcast phone service (cdv). As Jay mentioned, it is possible for phone service to remain operational even if the internet is experiencing trouble. I reviewed your signals and other service factors and things appear to be working well. When do you experience trouble? Does this happen often?

Yes it does, when the modem lights go down, so does the phone. So you are saying it is possible for the phone service to stay operational even if the internet is experiencing trouble, so my question is, HOW?

Awaiting your response.....

Valued Contributor

In my case, I had the phone service go down whenever the internet connection has a problem; the claim that when the power goes out, one can still use a "regular" phone connected to the eMTA because there is a battery backup; never worked for me.

When the power goes out at the pole, it also disable Comcast's box so no signal gets thru.  Then Comcast reboots the eMTA at times & when that happens the phone is dead; happened to me a couple of days ago; the eMTA got rebooted 3 times within 45 min.

The problem is that the voip outage can't be checked all the time as I do get internet outage for 1 or 2 secs & that is too short for me to check on the phone connection; I listen to internet music when on the computer & "hear" no sound for the duration of the internet outage.   When the outage is longer, the eMTA shows a T3 timeout & sometimes a T4 timeout; never got to check the phone as often it still too short to get to the phone & check; then, again, when the outage is too short, the eMTA log don't even show any interruptions.

The ARRIS eMTA is quite bad as logging  events as there is only a limited space & just overlays the previous last event when the capacity is reached; it often shows the incorrect uptime status after the eMTA has been rebooted a couple times.  Haven't found what the eMTA considers a "down" so that the status would restart the "uptime" status.

I got a cell phone as 1) pay phones are now quite scarce, if it works at all; 2) the free phones along the freeways have been lowered/removed "because people are using cell phones".  I got a cell account but have since switched to a pre-paid cell service; it's cheaper for the year as it is rarely used since it's turned off except for emergencies like calling AAA or listening to my recorded music when walking around the park.

As far as a landline, I've read somewhere that the local phone companies have started to replace their units to use the power company instead of their own power supplies; cheaper & less maintanence for them.  This may impact a pots landline when the power goes off like brownouts or a driver knocking down a power pole. 

Email Expert

The connection between the voice and Internet service outages depends on precisely where the problem is. The signals are going through the same eMTA box and cable, so if there's a problem with those it will affect both services. Further upstream, the services are separate, so problems with one should not affect the other.

If your Internet service goes out frequently, it's likely to be a problem of poor signal levels. You should check this (there's a sticky in the Connectivity forum that says what good signals are), and get a tech out to repair it if they're bad. Sometimes replacing the eMTA helps.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Connection Expert

you need to check to see if there is actually a battery installed?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So what do I do to make sure that the phone stays active when my cable box loses connection with the Internet and such? TV works fine when I lose connection, just the Internet and Phone won't work, this worries me as I'm pretty sure it'll do that when I am in bed asleep (I am deaf btw) and need to be assured that the phone line is always available should my wife needs to use the Medical Guardian alarm when something happens.

Cable Expert

Technically your TV, HSI and phone should rarely go down.  If it does, there is a problem that a tech needs to come out, find and fix the issue for troublefree service.

I don't know if you have had a tech out recently to troubleshoot your issue, but that's what should happen.

Please email to we_can_help@comcast.com and post your issue and include a link to this forum post, so they can see what has been posted so far.  The Comcast Cares Team will get the right local people involved.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

-

I just recently took over the role of forums Admin. I'm reaching out to see if your phone issue is resolved and all of you questions have been answered. Also I would like to apologize for getting back to you so late.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.