Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone Available Now

Regular Contributor

Phone Available Now

I am supposed to have Comcast phone available now in my area of southwestern Michigan. My concern is that I have had issues before the upgrade of having to reboot my modem. Everthing appears fine, but I can't get anywhere. I had a tech here and all was okay, except the folks doing the upgrade took the service down for 8 hours and nobody knew that was happening. Since the upgrade I still on occasion, maybe every few days, have to do a modem reboot to get things going again. It makes me iffy on trying CDV if I can't be sure that won't happen with the phone servie too. My mother lives with us and has one of the emergeny medical all systems on our line, we an't be playing around guessing if the phone servie is going to be working.

How reliable is this service?
Most Valued Poster

Re: Phone Available Now

I don't have Comcast's phone service, I've seen to many posters who do have problems with it. For you, it could work perfectly, but my opinion is why take a chance that it might not work if there were a medical emergency?  With a landline, you know it will be working-and your priority is your mother's health. This is the reason I choose to stay with a landline. I have my cordless phones which I love, but there are also 2 corded phones we can use if the power goes out. Should something happen to my mother, I want to be able to have reliable phone service so I can call for help.
Security Expert

evie210 wrote:
I don't have Comcast's phone service, I've seen to many posters who do have problems with it. For you, it could work perfectly, but my opinion is why take a chance that it might not work if there were a medical emergency?  With a landline, you don't know it will be working any more than a comcast phone and your priority is your mother's health. This is the reason I choose to stay with a landline. I have my cordless phones which I love, but there are also 2 corded phones we can use if the power goes out. Should something happen to my mother, I want to be able to have reliable phone service so I can call for help.

I fixed it for ya... No I don't have a comcast phone, mine's with ATT.. But the fact that it doesn't always work is why I also have a cell phone..

Message Edited by CajunTek on 11-07-2007 05:54 AM
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I just can't do it...CDV, that is. The reliability is not there from Comcast. I had to reboot the modem to get on tonight...yeah, techs have looked at my place, all is fine here. Over 26 years of phone service at this same house, in my name (my parents were here before) never have I had them take my service down for upgrades. In just one day in the last couple weeks Comcast had us down for 8 hours. Shorter periods here and there as a LONG upgrade took place. In 26 years I have not had my phone service down for more than a matter of minutes except when a tornado hit us. Still, they had it back up in a couple hours...cable I won't get into.

Good thing I have gotten into the habit of doing a copy of my messages to the clipboard before I hit SUBMIT due to past experiences...although all the lights were there, no connectivity. If I had not copied the above message it would have been lost. Somebody official, check for a 6:54 AM modem reset. This is getting real old fast. They want me to sign up for CDV? HAH!

Regular Contributor

My sister who is about 20 miles north of me just told me she is getting CDV. She does not have the reboot issue I do and her pots phone lines up where she is are really bad, so I guess it is worth a try. I tried calling her tonight and got sent right to her voice mail each time, that has been her issue of late with the pots line. It will be interesting to see how CDV works for her, it will save her money.
Regular Contributor

My sister had CDV installed today (11/24), she can call out, nobody can call her. She isn't a happy camper.

Regular Contributor

They got my sister's CDV working. Nobody bothered to notify her. I had tried her number last night just for the heck of it and it worked. She then called our other siblings from different areas and asked them to try calling her and they all got through too.

Now we'll see how it goes from here, if it stays working and stays trouble free.

I'm having to take my modem into Comcast since it won't take a config file upgrade, maybe I'll be lucky and getting a new modem will fix my needing to reboot it once in a while. If that happened I might give CDV a try myself, but keep a pots line at basic level for my mom's emergency call box. That would mean some phone line rewiring though to get that box on its own line not tied to the other phones.