Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

PHONE SERVICE IS A JOKE

Frequent Visitor

PHONE SERVICE IS A JOKE

Anyone even thinking about switching to Comcast phone service better stop and think twice.  If you enjoy talking on the phone or work from home like I do, "DO NOT" have this service installed.  If you do have it installed make sure you have a cell phone and a lot of minutes for all the calls to Comcast. 

Recent problems:

June 23, 2007  -  8:30 pm  -  Tried to get on the internet and it was down, picked up phone to call Comcast and it was down. (Same modem)  Call  from cell phone and at midnight still no solution and was told to wait until the next morning to see if it was back up.  It was back up the next morning.

June 24, 2007  -  9:00 pm  -  Same senario, no phone or internet service.  Came back up later.  No help from Comcast, still scratching their heads.

June 26, 2007  -  5:15 pm  -  Oh boy here we go again.  No phone or internet so they schedule someone to come out.  Well it is working again when the technician arrives the next day.

July 1, 2007   -  9:00 am  -   Make a Saturday trip to Comcast to pickup a new HD-DVR box for the new TV I just bought. (I was excited)  bring it home call Comcast because it will not pickup any HD channels,  premium or pay channels.  Guess what they said that I would have to bring the box or schedule an appointment because the box I just picked up was bad. Ruined my weekend. Scheduled an appointment for Thursday, July 5 for the new box and for them to check the connection.

July 2, 2007   -  9:30 am  -   Just another day without phone and internet.  I call again from my cell phone and again they don't have a clue what is wrong, so  in order to escalate the situation and try to get a technican here faster they have  to cancel my July 5 appointment.  SO I FIND OUT THAT THEY HAVE NOW CANCELLED THE JULY 5 TO ESCALATE AND THEY WILL BE HERE ON JULY 6.  Yeah , ya'll figure that one out.  And guess what I am not done yet.

July 5, 2007  -  7:30 am  -    Out again, up again.  Called them again and hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow.  Bear in mind  I now have 3 issues.  HD-DVR Box,  Internet,  Telephones.

ADIVICE -  Comcast is cable television and internet,  BELLSOUTH is telephone.

Regular Contributor

Re: PHONE SERVICE IS A JOKE

Sorry to hear about your issues.  Did you try asking for a supervisior or talking to anyone at your local comcast outlet?

To me sounds like an issue with your line maybe an open cable or some thing causing interference with it.  If that is the case that may hinder your HD service as well but hard to say.

Personally for me Comcast Internet and phone I have had no issues with. 
Frequent Visitor

I did talk to a Supervisor, he was the  one that escalated the issue.  I also spoke with one this morning.  I am very happy to hear that your service is work well for you.  I hate complaining but enough is enough.
Regular Contributor

Well I do agree if they aren't getting the job done then you don't have a choice but to look else where.
Regular Visitor

AMEN!!!

I wish I would never have fallen for the triple play.

Just spent over 2 days with no telephone service
whatsoever (disconnected by mistake?!?!) - according to
them - there is no such thing as escalating or fixing
your problem expeditiously. It does not exist with
Comcast.

Unless you live close to a comcast location that you would
not mind driving to regularly (please - do not even attempt
to call the 244-5900 for help - it does nothing), then maybe
comcast is for you.

As for me, I am headed back to Bellsouth as soon as
my contract is over.
Most Valued Poster

I have all three and am happy as pie with all of them. If I do have a problem, they are johnny on the spot to fix it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Frequent Visitor

Well ya'll it happened again.  Friday July 6th my internet went out.  Luckly the technician that was elevated (refer to previous message about Comcast's elevate process)  showed up.  Said that the linksys wireless router was causing the problem with the internet.  Works when hardwired and not with the router.  It was working the night before but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Now I have another problem, my fax machine which is on the same line as my home phone will not fax to a long distance number.  Oh and yes I am dialing the 1.  However it will fax to a local number.  Called Comcast and of course they said they would send a message to the troubleshooters and they would look into it.  Meanwhile I had to go to Office Depot to send a fax and of course pay for it.  I have not had any problems with this fax machine, (it is an HP all in one 5510).  If anyone knows of a solution please let me know.
Regular Contributor

Hello NASC,

I’ve read your post, and since you’re having multiple issues I contacted your local area management team, and restated your concerns about your service.

I have also verified that the correct type of trouble ticket was opened, and that a technician is scheduled to visit your home.

Once your work order has been completed, I’ll follow up with you to make sure that all of your services are working correctly.

And lastly, I apologize that the DVR that was issued to you is not working properly. I can see that the technician will be bringing out a replacement DVR with him, so please try to remember that since this is a piece of electrical equipment, sometimes it can be defective straight out of the box (for example: a coworker just got a new computer and the power supply was bad).

If you have any other concerns please email me  directly.

Thanks again for posting!

Jim
New Poster

I could be wrong but to me it doesn't seem like your router could've been causing your phones not to work. Thats if your setup is like mine. you got your EMTA / Cable Modem then from there you run an ethernet cable to your routers Broadband or Wan port then cables or wireless  from router to pc's. If your setup similar to that then if something was wrong with the router it should've only prevented you from getting online on your computer. 
Regular Contributor

Hello ViprXX

We have found that in some cases the wireless router needs to be 5 to 10 feet away from the eMTA. So, when customers are experiencing dropped calls or loss of dial tone, one of the things the technicians check is the proximity of wireless routers to the eMTA and possibly suggest that it be moved.

Thanks for posting!

Jim

New Poster

Hello

I need help soooo bad with a situation regarding my phone service.  I am receiving a bill from AT&T when I do not have service from them , I switched to Comcast in March. I was told that Comcast needs to send a letter notifying them that I have switched. I have been trying to handle this situation for months and continue to have problems with the phone line where I cannot receive calls from certain numbers, Comcast has interrupted my service twice for non-payment, but I am trying to get this resolved and I am not going to pay to providers for the same thing.

I have talked to so many people and nothing is being resolved. I was ont eh phone last night for over an hour and forty minutes waiting to speak to a supervisor and kept getting transfered to another department. There was even a rep who stayed on the line with me during this and nothing was rectified. PLEASE HELP me!! I want my service restored and a credit on my bill for this hassle. Otherwise I will switch back to AT&T. Please contact me if you can assist me.
Regular Visitor

I assume AT&T was your previous provider and you ported your number from them to comcast.  The completion of the port should have stopped your billing by AT&T.  Comcast can submit a request that will stop the billing(though AT&T should have done it automatically).
Regular Contributor

QuikWgn wrote:
I assume AT&T was your previous provider and you ported your number from them to comcast.  The completion of the port should have stopped your billing by AT&T.  Comcast can submit a request that will stop the billing(though AT&T should have done it automatically).

Not necessarily, unless you are familiar with AT&T's cancellation policies. I just had CDV installed and canceled my Vonage account. While Comcast does submit the porting request, Vonage will not cancel any account unless the subscriber calls personally and requests the cancellation. (Apparently they want the chance to try and talk you out of cancelling, and they cannot do that if they allow Comcast to request your cancellation). As I am not at all familiar with AT&T's cancellation policies I do not know if this is the same with them. But it certainly is possible. In that case, even though the number has been ported to Comcast and Comcast is providing your phone service, AT&T could continue to bill you until you presonally meet their Terms & Conditions. At lesat, that is what Vonage has been doing.

Jim
New Poster

Exactly!! They are not terminating my service until they receive a request from Comcast to do so. Now I have no phone service because Comcast has interrupted our service for non-payment. I am trying to explain to them that I am not going to pay twice for the same thing!!!! I am ready to pull my hair out!!! I do not know what to do. I was told to go to my local office so I will try that next but I have this feeling my experience may even be worse there.. If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate  it!!
Regular Visitor

In october of last year we opted to have our phones switched over to comcast...

From the beginning we could hear a popping noise in the back ground then it was cutting in and out like cell phones..
we have called comcast several Times !!! after 7 months of this **bleep** I am done!!!
after working with supervisors ( Line techs , Installers and so on ) Still not fixed
Now:
We can tell when the internet and the phones are not working Just by watching TV ( We have all 3 comcast services ) I always get the run around...  meaning well this is a phone issue or this is an internet issue. or scheduling a a tech to come out when the problem does not exsit in my home.
this was confirmed by the line tech supervisor in my area ( everything in this house is new modem,cable lines, that lil tv box thing).
look at my account if your from comcast and see the problems see how stupid your customer service is.
they dont even know how to make notes show at what time my service is having problems. the customer service Idiots you have dont understand if " comcast pings my computer with your so called ping program you are taking a different route to my system than I am taking to get to comcast.net " they are telling me i am in the low 20s but when I tracert to comcast.net I freeze up in the AT'T network which is owned by comcast and when finished its 280 ms oh I am sorry I have had a few that were low 52s

My problems exist in the AT'T network which is owned by Comcast corp. I have learned all this stuff by the line techs that have come out here " never leave your web addys on my system. I like to use see what they are about... "

So I am selling my house.. and moving to a smaller town just south of Provo Utah I know comcast is not avail there but who is ??? I call comcast and they tell me its not thier problem cause they do not provide service there. But who does i asked and i get I dunno... I am Sure Comcast does even though its a small market in this area Comcast is not dumb when it comes to market shares.

in leaving:

Comcasts customer support Sux!!!! its like asking a 2 year to do something you never get anything done....
Security Expert

cbelt3 wrote:
In october of last year we opted to have our phones switched over to comcast...

From the beginning we could hear a popping noise in the back ground then it was cutting in and out like cell phones..
we have called comcast several Times !!! after 7 months of this **bleep** I am done!!!
after working with supervisors ( Line techs , Installers and so on ) Still not fixed
Now:
We can tell when the internet and the phones are not working Just by watching TV ( We have all 3 comcast services ) I always get the run around...  meaning well this is a phone issue or this is an internet issue. or scheduling a a tech to come out when the problem does not exsit in my home.
this was confirmed by the line tech supervisor in my area ( everything in this house is new modem,cable lines, that lil tv box thing).
look at my account if your from comcast and see the problems see how stupid your customer service is.
they dont even know how to make notes show at what time my service is having problems. the customer service Idiots you have dont understand if " comcast pings my computer with your so called ping program you are taking a different route to my system than I am taking to get to comcast.net " they are telling me i am in the low 20s but when I tracert to comcast.net I freeze up in the AT'T network which is owned by comcast and when finished its 280 ms oh I am sorry I have had a few that were low 52s

My problems exist in the AT'T network which is owned by Comcast corp. I have learned all this stuff by the line techs that have come out here " never leave your web addys on my system. I like to use see what they are about... "

So I am selling my house.. and moving to a smaller town just south of Provo Utah I know comcast is not avail there but who is ??? I call comcast and they tell me its not thier problem cause they do not provide service there. But who does i asked and i get I dunno... I am Sure Comcast does even though its a small market in this area Comcast is not dumb when it comes to market shares.

in leaving:

Comcasts customer support Sux!!!! its like asking a 2 year to do something you never get anything done....

Comcast doesn't own the ATT network....
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Agreen99 wrote:
Exactly!! They are not terminating my service until they receive a request from Comcast to do so. Now I have no phone service because Comcast has interrupted our service for non-payment. I am trying to explain to them that I am not going to pay twice for the same thing!!!! I am ready to pull my hair out!!! I do not know what to do. I was told to go to my local office so I will try that next but I have this feeling my experience may even be worse there.. If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate  it!!

You may have missed my point:  YOU also have to call and cancel your AT&T service - and get a confirmation number. Comcast can request the number be ported, based on the 3rd party verification approval you gaver to them on the phone, and sometimes that is sufficient to also cancel your account. But in many cases, YOU have to call and cancel with your previous phone company.

Did you? Do you have any confirmation that you did? If so, why in the heck are you still paying them?

Bottom line:  No one else is responsible for getting the billing from your previous company (AT&T) stopped. It's on you to do that. If Comcast is now providing your phone service then of course you should be paying them! Or what choice do they have but to turn it off? It is AT&T who is billing you yet no longer providing any service!

Jim
Regular Visitor

wanna bet ... How about betting your job??? I'll bet the company that I own versus your job.... come on now this can get interesting..

I know how to do a reverse DNS look up and I have the tools... AT'T sold all servers back in october of 2006 to Comcast Corp. this includes all of attworldnetservices servers . Also all the techs that I have talked to also say things...

Message Edited by cbelt3 on 07-30-2007 12:59 PM
Regular Contributor

Hello cbelt3,

I’ve reviewed all of the notes on your account and I do have a few questions that I would like to discuss with you. If you could please email me with a good time to reach you, we can then discuss the various problems with your service.

In addition, I realize you’re moving to an area in which Comcast is not available. Even though we normally do not keep a list of our competitors telephone numbers, I’ll do the best that I can to assist you in contacting your new service provider.

Thank you for posting.
Jim
Regular Visitor

JimWe..

All though I do appreciate the wanting to do the help thing. Its not going to work. At least not now. Like I said before Comcasts customer service sux. this will always ring true. customer service agents are to deal with all calls not just the ones that they feel need the most attention even if its just to make a small note so that way the supervisor of the line techs in our area can get a good idea of when the problem begins and ends.

In the past month Myself and my wife have called at least 30 times to have our account noted. I found out this morning that no notes have been placed in our account... Explaine to Me and to the viewing Public why...

I give up...

When I buy my new home and move away from Salt Lake City. I will cancel my account and move on. But in the mean time and I mean. Mean!!!
I have bent over for comcast for the last time.

The problems I am having are not in the house. they are in the Network. I have stated this time and time again. NO MORE!!

BTW if you have reviewed my account you have my contact Numbers and my e-mail Addy I am available any time of the day

Message Edited by cbelt3 on 07-30-2007 02:28 PM
Security Expert

cbelt3 wrote:
wanna bet ... How about betting your job??? I'll bet the company that I own versus your job.... come on now this can get interesting..

I know how to do a reverse DNS look up and I have the tools... AT'T sold all servers back in october of 2006 to Comcast Corp. this includes all of attworldnetservices servers . Also all the techs that I have talked to also say things...

Message Edited by cbelt3 on 07-30-2007 12:59 PM

I'll bet... Now before I put my job on the line... Do you know anything about semiconductor processing? Surfactant chemistry? Control of nanometric line widths? Alignment parameters for various manufacturers Scanner and Stepper based expose/alignment tools? 
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

J_MAC  Did you? Do you have any confirmation that you did? If so, why in the heck are you still paying them?

First of all, AT&T allowed Comcast to port my old phone number, isn't that notification enough? I contacted At&t and they informed me that COMCAST has to send them a "form" to notify them of my switch. I have cancelled my service, but I am still receiving a bill for service we did not use. They continued to bill us the normal monthly usage charges. Well there was no usage!!! So truthfully, they are both crooks. If I had not realized the double billing I would have paid for something I didn't use. Bottom line is they pride themselves on their service well it **bleep**!!! There is no such thing as customer service with them. They just want the money and who cares if your services are working properly.
Regular Contributor

Agreen99 wrote:
 J_MAC  Did you? Do you have any confirmation that you did? If so, why in the heck are you still paying them?

First of all, AT&T allowed Comcast to port my old phone number, isn't that notification enough? I contacted At&t and they informed me that COMCAST has to send them a "form" to notify them of my switch. I have cancelled my service, but I am still receiving a bill for service we did not use. They continued to bill us the normal monthly usage charges. Well there was no usage!!! So truthfully, they are both crooks. If I had not realized the double billing I would have paid for something I didn't use. Bottom line is they pride themselves on their service well it **bleep**!!! There is no such thing as customer service with them. They just want the money and who cares if your services are working properly.

@Agree99:

Not that this helps your situation, but Comcast made very clear to me that they would notify Vonage and get the number ported, but that after installation and verifying that my CDV service was working, that I had to call Vonage and cancel my account with them in order to stop them from billing me.  I had already read Vonage's T&C's carefully and knew that I had to do this, and also that Vonage would pull stuff like keeping me on hold for long periods - hoping I would hang up.  But I was prepared and canceling Vonage only took me about 7 minutes total. I did receive a confirmation email from them -- while still n the phone with them -- stating that my service was indeed canceled.

If Comcast installed your service successfully, and you can check by checking your voice mail, then they were already successful in getting your number ported to them from AT&T. THat is really all that Comcast can do, as I understand it. Canceling the account as far as billing can only be done by you apparently. I believe that some providers allow the new phone service provider to cancel for you but a few do not and require either a call, email, letter from the customer. Check the AT&T Terms and Conditions (either the one you received in the mail or online) and see what it says is required to "terminate service". It won't be big and bold because they don't want to make it easy for folks to cancel. But it has to be there - required by law. If you have met those terms then your account should be canceled. If you met the terms and they are billing you anyway, check with your local DA as to action available to you.

I am not trying to absolve Comcast here; I'm certainly not their shill nor defender. But I honestly don't think they can do anything more if they already successfully get your number ported over from AT&T. I think AT&T is messed up in this case. When someone tells you that they need a form from Comcast he/she is probably talking about the request to port your number -- which it sounds like has already been accomplished. You need to escalate to a manager or higher.

Good luck!

Jim
Regular Contributor

Hi cbelt3,
I’m thankful that I was able to reach you and talk about your service difficulties. As we discussed, it may appear that we’ve not been working on your service problems, but that’s simply not the case. Because you’ve had multiple issues (i.e. call quality, cable TV and internet connection issues) reported at different times, it’s been difficult to generate one overall picture of the problem.

Subsequently, however, I’ve been in contact with the field supervisor that has taken charge of your account. He’s requested that the next time a problem occurs (even if the problem is intermittent), to contact him directly and he’ll take a look at the issue. I’ll also stay in direct contact with him, so between the three of us, we should be able to isolate the trouble.

As I told you earlier, I’ll be in contact with you on a regular basis, and I’ll also look into a service provider at your new address.

Thanks for your patience, and I’m looking forward to working with you!

Jim