Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

PC Caller ID keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

Regular Contributor

PC Caller ID keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

Ever since the update to version 3.1.36 of the Caller ID program, it continues to disconnect and reconnect every few minutes. It has got to the point where I don't even want to use the program any more. I hope Comcast can fix this.

New Poster

Re: PC Caller ID keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

I am having same issue, annoying and may discontinue.

New Poster

Same issue here.   Is this simply a complaint forum or can we expect some expert repair advice?

New Poster

Mine is doing it too. It's great when it works right !

New Poster

I am also having the same issue as well.  In addition, I reported an additional complaint three days ago that the PC caller ID also no longer appears when the phone rings.  It appears on my TV find but no longer shows up on my PC.  Technical support said it should be resolved in 48 to 72 hours which has since pasted.  Must follow up now to see where they are.

Frequent Visitor

(Sorry - I had a typo in my original post - this is the edited/corrected version.)

I'm having the same problem with caller id disconnecting on my PC after upgrading.  It sometimes lasts a few minutes (sometimes less).  If COMCAST can post a solution, I'd really like to try it!!

But, I may be able to help with the "disappearing" caller id on PC issue.  Caller ID never appeared to launch even though Task Manager showed the process was running and it never displayed call info when the phone rang.

After going back-and-forth with Comcast tech help people for months (literally months) and trying all their solutions with no luck, I tried looking into it myself.  I was able to make a modification that, at least for me, worked instantly.  Here's what I did:

1. Make sure Caller ID isn't running on your PC (otherwise, you probably won't be able to save the file edit described below).  Close the process using Task Manager if needed.
  2. Open Windows Explorer (AKA File Manager) and go to the folder containing the Caller ID files. This is usually in the directory, "C:\Program Files\Caller ID\" and  locate a file called, "application.xml".  This is usually in the directory, "C:\Program Files\Caller ID\META-INF\AIR"
  3. Right click on the file name and select "Edit."  That should open the file in Notepad.
  4. Locate the following line in file, "<visible>false</visible>" (It's under the "<initialWindow>" section.  The entire file is small so it should be really easy to locate that line of code.)
  5. Change the line from "false" to "true" so it appears as follows:  "<visible>true</visible>" (don't use the quotation marks!)
  6. Save the file with the same name as the original to overwrite that original file. (Choosing "File->Save" instead of "File->Save As" is usually the safest way to do that.)
  7. Try launching Caller ID again and see if it works.  I hope that does the trick for you as well as it did for me.

Now, if I could only use Caller ID without it disconnecting!!

Good luck!

New Poster

Add me to this growing list.  C'mon, Comcast...fix it!  (Glad to see it isn't just mine!

New Poster

I'm having the same problem. I keep restarting my lap top with no results. My caller id will not appear on my tv or my lap top.  What the heck is going on?

New Poster

I am having the same problem with disconnects on my pc with caller id.  The phone techs and service

man have not solved the problem. I love the having caller id and I hope Comcast finds the trouble

soon.

Regular Contributor

Add me to the list. It started a little bit in the previous version, but the latest version is doing it every few minutes.

Regular Contributor

Same here, never had a problem until the last 2 updates. I finally just uninstalled it. Will try again if I see if there's any updates or fixes on this forum. It's just not worth it popping up every few minutes while I'm doing other things. Most irritating....

New Poster

Tried your fix but it did not work.  For now I have just uninstalled the program until Comcast addresses the program glitch. 

Regular Contributor

Instead of uninstalling it, I simpley un-checked the box for the program to automaticaly start when Windows loads. Now it doesn't start when Windows loads. I'll just keep it turned off unit someone from Comcast says the problem has been fixed on their end.

Regular Contributor

I am having the same problem with this version on a Mac, I put in two tickets that Comcast says were resolved, but still doing the same thing.  And when it does stay connected and logged on I receive no caller ID on the screen. I do receive Caller ID on the iPhone iPad and TV.

Regular Contributor

It's a week later, I tried it again...........but it still is disconnecting. It reconnects a second later, then it works for a couple of minutes and starts the cycle all over again. . Version 3.1.36...  so I'll try again next week.

Regular Contributor

I downloaded and installed the beta of Adobe Air and the problem has lessened a huge amount. It actually seems to be working.

Contributor

Where do you get this update?

Also, if anyone from Comcast is out there, it would be nice if the whole thing was less obstrusive. It's not like its a critical piece of software. Why not have the box quite a bit smaller (not 1/2 the screen), and have it come up for a short time when it connects, and then go away. I hate to keep coming to the computer to see that sometime in the past it apparently disconnected, then reconnected.

Regular Contributor

Here is the beta, it works better but not perfect. Adobe Air Beta

Frequent Visitor

When I reported this problem to comcast tech support this was his reply.

1. Don't use it.

2. Never had a complaint before with this issue.

3. He (the tech) said he doesn't use it.

Never got any type of acknowledgement that he even understood the issue.

He said he opened an issue but the number he gave me is invalid./

This is sooooooo annoying.

I will keep up with this blog.....

Contributor

I downloaded and installed the Beta3 update. it seems to make no difference at all.

Regular Contributor

For me it was less of the connecting and disconnecting, but as I said not perfect.  Comcast has no idea as I have filed three tickets with them. All I suggest is keep calling until they catch on that something is wrong.

New Poster

There should be some way to turn on/off the error alert notifications.  And MINIMILIZE!  It totally aggravates me that I have to manually minimilize the program every time it starts up.  That should be one of the simplest pieces of programming in the entire app.

Regular Contributor

A new version of Caller ID was released this morning, but still can't connect.

Regular Visitor

Yes same here...new version today & it can't connect at all.

Frequent Visitor

I also installed new version with same results.  Also installed new adobe air.  Cannot connect. POPUP says logging in and has been for an hour. Also just got a call with NO display.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here - it's very annoying. This seems to have started only recently and yesterday's update didn't help. Right now it's unable to connect at all and reports "Login Failed." Hopefully someone will find a solution soon...

New Poster

just tried my updated and works fine....have not had the pop ups since installing updated, either. 

Regular Contributor

I installed thje update yesterday (5/11/12), and the problem still exists.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast rep called me yesterday (5/9) and did some type of reset on his end and after rebooting my computer seemed to work, that is until today and the old problem came back but seems to be less frequently.

MYBE THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT.

Regular Contributor

Tis is getting crazy, how long can this go on? They broke it two updates ago and haven't been able to fix it. I am sick and tired of the lip service i keep getting and the so called tickets that are put in.

Contributor

Well, it's over 3 months and it only getting worse and worse!  I have heard these excuses:

It doesn't work with Windows 7, I should "upgrade" to XP

It will work if you uninstall it and reinstall it

This is the first time we heard this problem

You are not signed in (I was)

You signed in with the wrong account (no, I was signed in with my primary account)

It must be network issues.  We can send a technician over to fix the problem

What operating system are you using (it was on the ticket)

Frequent Visitor

Ever since they upgraded the software caller id hasn;t worked. The number doesn't appear on my monitor or the television. It doesn't work period and often connects and disconnect.   Comcast should go back to the prior program. This version is not ready for prime time

Frequent Visitor

For me It hasn't work on a consistent basis for over a year. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I'm able to get it to work, than after a bit of time, it error's out.  Tried everything, from reinstalling it, to what the one user said about editing the file (which didn't allow me to do).  Another annoying thing, it seems like this adobe air is constantly updating for some reason. That many holes in this software that it needs to do that?  This caller id for pc seems to be the only program I use that requires this Adobe Air.

Frequent Visitor

Have had the same issue for the past three months.  Repeated contacts with 'support center', and more recently visits by Level 2 technician(s).  Nothing has worked, connect/disconnect (with the annoying popup) continues.  Techs claim it is being worked on 'in the background', but it's hard to believe Comcast can allow a widespread problem to continue for so long.

Had a brief flurry of responses after making contact with 'Executive' support level, but apparently interest has waned. Having seen nothing new in the forums, and no reply for Comcast I guess it's time to run up the heat?

Regular Contributor

I uninstalled the Caller Id program and Adobe Air, and then reinstalled Caller ID, let it install Adobe Air, and then let Adobe Air update itself. I also set Caller ID to "run as administrator". These steps got me to where I could at least log in. I contacted executive support, and they got it fixed for me, though it took a couple of tries over several days. A cxode had tyo be added to my account, and I don't know what the remote technicians did, but they did reboot my modem (probably sent some setting to it, but I don't know at this point.) I hope to find out on Monday. When I find out, I'll post back.SO fgar, Caller ID has worked perfectly for three straight days on all my devices (PC, TV, iPhone).

Frequent Visitor

So if this is a fix why doesn't Comcast give it to everybody else that is reporting this problem.   About 4  weeks ago I got a telephone call from Comcast to tell me caller-id was broken and they would notify me when it was fixed.  I am holding my breath. The other thing I get is an email that tells me someone else has posted to the thread, but almost all are reporting the problem.

NOTHING FROM COMCAST ABOUT A SOLUTION.

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK.

Frequent Visitor

Will be interesting to hear the results....  I also had a recent period (last week) where Caller ID to PC worked, for about three days.  It has since returned to its earlier, chaotic state.

Contributor

5 or 6 times I received calls from Comcast saying they fixed the problem and it did work but only for a day or two.  

Regular Contributor

Still useless here...uninstalled it again

New Poster

Having same problemMan Frustrated Over the last five months, have spoken to the national tech team about it.  I have uninstall, reinstall, download, uploaded and turn around three times. I have did everything they have asked of me, including pay my bill. But caller id still will not work on my PC.  What do I have to do?  Write the program myself.

Somebody, anybody please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

FAUguy wrote:

Ever since the update to version 3.1.36 of the Caller ID program, it continues to disconnect and reconnect every few minutes. It has got to the point where I don't even want to use the program any more. I hope Comcast can fix this.

At this point Im giving up.

If Comcast was seriouse about fixing it, they woukd have done so months ago.

But if I run the Caller ID program, it will disconnect every few hours and reconnect, which shows the big login screen. Major pain when typing stuff up. 

So Im back to not using the program and not having it load when Windows starts up.

Maybe Ill try it  again next year and see if the person they pay to write the program has woke up and knows what they are doing.

Frequent Visitor

Am quickly reaching the same conclusion.  Best approach may be to uninstall and wait for real progress toward a fix.  I heard from support that a 'new fix' was pushed out a few days ago, but I'm still experiencing the same issue.  Only question is how to raise Comcast's attention to this long-running and highly irritating problem?

Regular Visitor

Have they really still not fixed this yet?

Wow...

Frequent Visitor

mine has been connecting but occasionally disconnects out of the blue. Despitet it connecting the caller id hasn;t worked in quite a while.   Yesterday a popup notice came in on my PC but not on the tv.  A few minutes later caller id showed on my TV and not on my pc.  At no time did it appear on both.    I am at the point it's more trouble than it's worth and probably will stop using caller id. 

Regular Visitor

I've been watching this topic for some time and it's disturbing that, after 4 months, xfinity Caller ID is a poorer product than the old Comcast Caller ID. It seems like someone's not only fooling the customers, they're fooling Comcast.

This is my usual experience -- when I open my display the Caller ID dialog is sitting there, asking to be connected. After a few minutes, it may indicate that it has connected. If so, it will probably pop up again within a half-hour. Or it may do as today, and just not connect at all. After 5 or 10 minutes, I close the dialog to get on with business. (OOPS, now it claims to be connected; it took 10 minutes this time) But the next time I open my display, there it will be again. I easily can understand why so many are uninstalling Caller ID. Basically, it's a non-feature.

New Poster

Well, here is the latest from support,  IF you have TWO or more phone lines, it will not work properly.  They are still working on it, and if by some chance of faith it works, they will sent a email to everyone ("RIGHT").

That the story for now

I just love to be a beta tester, with out being paid except no mindMan Mad

Frequent Visitor

Sounds like a made-up story to  me.....  I have only a single line, and I've had the issue for months.  This story is about as credible as the (at least) three occasions on which Support has announced that a 'fix' was distributed.

Regular Contributor

I posted the following in a new thread, but not everyone is seeing it.

PC Caller ID Fix Information

My ticket was escaletd to National Tech Support, and this evening (Labor Day!) I got to speak with a tech who is actually working on the problem.

There is good news and bad news.  The good news is Comcast is acutely aware of the problems. They are aware that it broke with a specific update, and what the symptoms are (disconnects, login box popping up, works/doesn't work)- all of the problems discussed in the threads here.

The bad news is that Comcast didn't develop the program- it is a third party. The third party has been working on the problem and has submitted two fixes, but as we know, neither worked. The next fix isn't due until October (no date given).

There is also an associated problem if you have two phone numbers through Comcast.

I have the tech's direct phone number and work schedule, and I will check back with him in October and post whatever I find out.

Frequent Visitor

Here's my latest status with Caller ID

I now get a notice on the television which states the phone number calling.  It doesn't list the name of the caller as listed in my addressbook.

Nothing appears on my PC with  caller ID. 

I guess that's a step up as before I was getting nothing at all since the new and improved Caller ID program came out.

New Poster

guess i will jump in the same boat, mine was working now it does not,calling those clowns and waiting to get an answer. is just a waste of time. now my e-mail is not running that swift either.