Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Original Number Changed When Moving

New Poster

Original Number Changed When Moving

I recently moved to a different town that still have the same area code as my previous home. I have had Comcast for 2 years now. When I moved, I wanted to upgrade to the TV, internet, and phone package. I was told that since I was moving to a local place that had the same area code, I would be able to keep my phone number that I have had for over 20 years. When everything was installed in my new place, the number was changed and I was not made aware of it until later. How can I get my original number back? The number was changed without my approval; it must still be with Comcast as I did not change providers

Frequent Visitor

Re: Original Number Changed When Moving

Hi,

I am finding this same thing out myself.

I thought I saw something online that said if you are moving within the same area code you would be able to keep your current home phone number and take it with you to the new location...but that is not true as I found out today. I am going to be moving within the state (same area code) but to a different town...however, when I called Comcast to verify if I could take the number with me, the Customer Service Rep checked the new location and informed me that I would be unable to (I feel your pain as I've had my number for about 12 years!) as my new location was in a different rate center. She suggested I port the home number to a cell phone or try something like Google Voice. 

Hope others will chime in.... 

New Poster

Thanks for the reply! I hope that you are able to keep your home phone number somehow. If there is any way I can recover my number and port it to something like Google Voice or Magicjack, I would be very happy.

Administrator
Administrator

Hi mimanuel, I checked this for you and it does seem that your new residence falls withing a different rate center. Because of this we would be unable to move the number to that location. Usually if the city or zip code changes that is usually a good indication that the number would be unable to be moved. I wish I had better news here, but given the different rate centers is not posible at this time. -FC 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Since it isn't able to be transferred, I was hoping to port the number to Magicjack which is still based in my previous residence for the meantime. Unfortunately since Comcast has disconnected the number, it looks like I'm not able to do so. Is there a way to connect the number briefly back to my account, or it make it available, so that I can do so and not lose my number? Please let me know.