New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No phone service

ANSWERED
New Poster

No phone service

I went to the Xfinity service center to exchange the new and improved modem for another new and improved modem because my WiFi kept going out.  I hooked up the new modem and now have no phone service.  I called and have been on hold for 32 minutes and counting.  Very frustrated with comcast and I'm considering cancelling all services with them. 

Accepted Solution

Re: No phone service

I did a "self install". I finally decided to contact Comcast to try to figure something out, even though the web site said the voice looked good on their end.

I hate phone calls so I tried the live chat. I seem to be able to understand chat much better than far eastern broken English. Pretty quickly the person found that my new modem had never been set up from their end after all. It seems that when a new (or different) modem is installed the internet portion is automatic, but the phone portion must be "provisioned" or set up manually by Comcast. We had the issue done and my phone working just fine in about 20 minutes or so. She called me to make sure, and stayed on chat while I called out on the land line to ensure that all was well. This is the next day and it still works fine.

View answer in context
New Poster

I did a "self install". I finally decided to contact Comcast to try to figure something out, even though the web site said the voice looked good on their end.

I hate phone calls so I tried the live chat. I seem to be able to understand chat much better than far eastern broken English. Pretty quickly the person found that my new modem had never been set up from their end after all. It seems that when a new (or different) modem is installed the internet portion is automatic, but the phone portion must be "provisioned" or set up manually by Comcast. We had the issue done and my phone working just fine in about 20 minutes or so. She called me to make sure, and stayed on chat while I called out on the land line to ensure that all was well. This is the next day and it still works fine.

Regular Visitor

be careful about cancelling.......they make it nearly impossible to do so...or they will charge you up the behind.....

Regular Contributor

Did you call the activation number on the bottom of your equipment issuance receipt.  If you did this, then you should plug a working phone into the modem if you have not done so to check to see if there is a problem with your inside phone wiring.  You should also send an email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com becase they are able to resolve some issues when the phone support people cannot.  Which lights are lit or blinking on your modem? 

New Poster

Thanks for the  tips.  After being on hold for 50 minutes, I hung up and went to bed.  I called 1st thing the next morning and was connected with a live person.  She was able to get my phone connected and things appear to be fine.

New Poster

new modem was installed but phone does not work   please set up my phone on your end as the ssuport said was the promlem

New Poster

email phone no to call about my phone

Service Expert

eghieb wrote:

new modem was installed but phone does not work   please set up my phone on your end as the ssuport said was the promlem

Your modem needs to be activated....   since you do not have phone service, your best bet is to get this done via online chat with a CSR... explain your situation and that the modem needs to be activated.   You can go into online chat with Comcast using this link:https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Protected.aspx

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon