New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No phone service

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

No phone service

When my phone rings, and I answer it, I can hear the caller but the caller cannot hear me.  This problem first occurred on 10/18.  It briefly disappeared on the evening of 10/18 (service was normal, I could hear and speak), but reappeared on the morning of 10/19.  Internet and cable tv service are unaffected.  We followed the trouble shooting guides, using a corded phone.  We still could not be heard by the calling party.  Attempts to reach Comcast via cell phone were fruitless.  In the am the estimated wait time was 10 minutes.  After 40 minutes wait I hung up.  In the afternoon, the wait time was estimated to be between 50 minutes and 1 hour.  The problem is obviously on Comcast's end.  Please help!!!

Accepted Solution

Re: No phone service

Update - turns out the phone has be to activated separately.  When you call and the recording asks if you need help with activating, say "no" and they when they check, they see that you are not activated yet.  They go through process then and boom, you have phone service.  Who knew.........

View answer in context
New Poster

I have an equally bizarre issue albiet different. I "upgraded" to the newest, fastest modem in September. When I dissconnected my land line from the old modem and plugged it into the new one the land lind stopped working. When I reinstalled the old modem and plugged the land line in it did not come back! My main phone (wired) has a message "Check tele line" and no dial tone.

OF COURSE the Xfinity web site says my voice "Looks good on our end". Of course!

New Poster

I have the same problem - got new equipment and now the phone doesn't work.  Same message.  The message I got from them is that I don't appear to have digital phone service.  I'm pretty sure I have digital phone service since I can get messages anywhere, online.  Isn't that right?  And of course, you can't get through to them on the phone, even if it worked........................

New Poster

New modem and I too have no phone service or dial tone.  worked fine before "upgrade"

New Poster

Update - turns out the phone has be to activated separately.  When you call and the recording asks if you need help with activating, say "no" and they when they check, they see that you are not activated yet.  They go through process then and boom, you have phone service.  Who knew.........

New Poster

Regarding my post above, and to all with a similar issue,

Man do I feel silly!!

I did a "self install". I finally decided to contact Comcast to try to figure something out, even though the web site said all looked good on their end.

I hate phone calls so I tried the live chat. I seem to be able to understand chat much better than far eastern broken English. Pretty quickly the person found that my new modem had never been set up from their end after all. It seems that when a new (or different) modem is installed the internet portion is automatic, but the phone portion must be "provisioned" or set up manually by Comcast. We had the issue done and my phone working just fine in about 20 minutes or so. She called me to make sure, and stayed on chat while I called out on the land line to ensure that all was well. This is the next day and it still works fine.

Regular Visitor

Folks,

you all seem to have new modem or new equipment relatedf problems.  My problem is an intermittent.  The constants are:  phone rings, I answer, I can hear someone on the other end, usually saying hello repeatedly.  Caller can't hear me.  The phone worked normally twice today and then conked out again this evening.  Trying to reach Comcast phone support in some third world nation is an exercise in futility.  Does anyone at Comcast read and respond to these pleas for help?

Frequent Visitor

unable to call out or in. Changed modem but still no phone

Regular Visitor

My problem was finally solved via live chat.  It was a modem issue. Try that. Sadly, Comcast phone service is not yet ready to play in the big leagues.

New Poster

By now I should have learned to hit the forums before contacting tech support. Spent 45 minutes with live chat last night to resolve no dial tone issue. No help, but the person did try. Called the activation number this morning & the phone was up and running in ten minutes.

I also did a self install of an upgraded modem and didn't realize the phone service had to be activated separately. Thank you so much for your solution to a frustrating problem!

Frequent Visitor

chat did not resolved problem. 

Frequent Visitor

nteresting but what is activation number for phone service. Is this for comcast to activate?

New Poster

Comcast activation number I have is: 1-855-652-3446.

Or: www.comcast.com/activate

Regular Visitor

Thank you for activation info Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the activation number. Unfortunately when I go to web page it tells me my account is not eligible for internet activation. I only have a cell phone for emergencies at 10 cents a minute.  I know we can exagerate things when we are in stressful situation but why would comcast put help line like this:

call 1-855-OK-BEGIN. Making it necessary to translate the number before entering it on the phone, frustrating for many people like me with bad eyesight. I .have started noticing  this and cannot find  another example of another organization. doing it  this way. I am sorry but the idea comes to me that it is to make it difficult for you to call them.Also when I go to the comcast store with the problem that my phone system has disappeared, they tell me they cannot help me but will let me use a phone. This is something but why do it this way?

New Poster

Beware advanced tech support and new modems
Options
‎11-09-2013 04:40 PM

I have spent over 3 phone calls speaking with primarily foreign tech since having the new wireless modem connected. I did not want a new modem as I had a higher quality faster speed modem. Which after almost 20 hours of support. And transferred to their new level tech support was told I had to pay $79.95 for service and was hung up on. 4 pages of names later a button push by a tech disabled firmware on my 2.4 5 ghz modem. One house call later I remain without my wireless modem and terrible phone service. Time for another carrier.
New Poster

My phone service problem has now been ongoing for the better part of 6 months. Its always the same, they reset the modem and it magically works for a few days. Til one day when it didnt I lost my phone service and that night had a prowler trying to break into my house while I was home. I couldnt call for help and my cell does not work here. I had to wait til the next day to even get to a phone. I hope someone can give me a clue because comcast has none  Please Help

New Poster

the phone has no dial tone and other people calling here it goes right to voice m

New Poster

no phone service, link light is flashing

Regular Visitor

ALL I GET IS A DIAL TONE AND WHEN SOMEONE CALLS IT DONT RING JUST GOS TO VOICEMAIL

New Poster

Phone light on modem is flashing. I'm having the same problem every month. lasy service rapair was done 11/23/13 and the prir three months before that. I am requesting service again.

New Poster

NO PHONE SERVICE FOR THREE DAYS NOW  WOULD YOU COME AND FIX THE PROBLEM TODAY  I NEED MY PHONE TODAY NEED TO CALL MY DOCTOR AND OTHERS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT THANKS

New Poster

I HAVE MO PHONE SERVICE AND YET IT SAYING ITS ON ,NEED A TECHECHION TO COME OUT TO MY HOUSE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.CESKHOLME@COMCAST.NET 7816295784 ALSO HAVE ANOTHER EMAIL CONNIEESKHOLME@AOL.COM  96 LYNNWAY REVERE MA.02151 PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ,ITS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED

New Poster

I cannot call as I have no service. No service for something I am paying for.

\

New Poster

My issue:

New modem, internet works fine, but phone has no dial tone. Tel1 light on modem blinks every 1 second.

Fix: Called comcast activation number as internat can self activate, but phone requires comcast to activate it. (1-855-652-3446). Comcast pushed activation down to modem, but it still did not work.

What finally fixed it. After comcast pushed activation to modem I had to use a paper clip and reset the modem through the small "reset" hole in the back. All lights went out, then slowly they all came back on, including Tel1 line which now glows solid. Phone line works now.

Note: trying to reset modem by powering on and off DID NOT WORK, only using the reset hole in the back of the unit worked.

Hope this helps someone else.

New Poster

I have no phone service, instead of a dial tone I get a loud consistant noise, I tried unplugging and plugging back in, and undoing the modem with no luck, any other suggestions? if not get someone out here please.

New Poster

I have no phone service. Pls help!
New Poster

I have same problem, what did you do?   

New Poster

My phones are not working.  People cannot understand me - garbeled.  This happened on the 21 and cleared by ?  However now it is doing it again and my cell phone is dead so cannot call.

Also, every since you installed a new modum several month ago it sometimes comes upo as not connected to internet.  So I go back and it is fine but now---- perhaps a dozen times a day I lose connection to the internet.

Also, how do I get my tool bars back on the email site?

N Seery

Regular Visitor

No phone connection, just internet connection since the chat

New Poster

I have no line on my land phone which is part of my Comcast triple play. Any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Service Expert

jmmchacha wrote:

I have no line on my land phone which is part of my Comcast triple play. Any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Try this first:   http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/phone/troubleshooting-no-dial-tone/

If still no phone, call Comcast and let them know you have no phone service....

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: No phone service/ongoing

Is it just me or does the second half of this solution "call comcast" seem ridiculous if you have no phone. I personally live in heavily wooded ares and do not have cell phone service. I also have a child with severe medical issues that if i needed to call I cant. However, since it is sporadic I never know when I will and wont have service. Comcast told me if they come out there my be  service charge. 

Tags (1)
Service Expert

Re: No phone service/ongoing

ongoing wrote:

Is it just me or does the second half of this solution "call comcast" seem ridiculous if you have no phone. I personally live in heavily wooded ares and do not have cell phone service. I also have a child with severe medical issues that if i needed to call I cant. However, since it is sporadic I never know when I will and wont have service. Comcast told me if they come out there my be  service charge. 

Unfortunately, these forums are user-to-user support areas and not direct links to Comcast.  The only way Comcast will know of a problem is by the user calling that in and informing them of the issue(s).

Yes, if the problem is found within your residence, there will be a charge.  If the problem is outside your residence or with Comcast infrastructure there will not be a charge.

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert

2 Year Old Thread being Closed.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon