Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No phone service

New Poster

No phone service

I moved the router and all all other connections (phone) from my basement up to the living room. Currently have DSL, and TV working fine, phones not working.  Can't call out or receive calls. Have reset system still not getting any phone service.  Service call may be required at this point.

Cable Expert

Re: No phone service

What do the LED's on the eMTA show?  Did you plug in a known good wired phone directly to the eMTA's L1/L2 jack and test it?

Are you sure your have a signal on the coax line to the eMTA's new location?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I hooked up a good phone directly to the box and I do have a dial tone. The phone system is working if I plug it directly into the box.  Could there be a bad coaxle wire somewhere?

Cable Expert

You are having issues backfeeding the line voltage from the eMTA back into your inside wiring in the house.

Normally, a phone cord is connected from the eMTA's L1/L2 jack to a phone jack in the room.  That jack would have to be wired up to the rest of the inside wiring and jacks in the home to activate all the jacks in the home.

If you don't have any knowledge of how your inside wiring is connected and where all the inside wiring is spliced together then you probably better off hiring Comcast to come out and do it, or any independent low voltage electrical contractor that does that kind of work. 

In many homes, the wiring terminates either in the local telephone companies gray plastic NID on the side of the house, or at a junction point in the basement or garage.  In warm climate locations like California, Arizona, there is many times a hidden panel on the outside of the home below the electrical panel or meter.  Many newer homes have a structured wiring panel either in the basement, garage or in a closet.  Any of these locations are the junction for all the telephone inside wiring in the home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Problem Solver

robg63-

All the information provide by JayInAlg is correct. It's likely that the outlet you are trying to use has not been activated by Comcast which why it only works plugged directly into our modem. To resolve this matter you will need a technician to come out to your home to activate additional outlets.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-
New Poster

Thanks Keisha, will look into that!

Problem Solver

---

Let me know if you need assistance.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-