Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No land line during power outage

New Poster

No land line during power outage

After going through a storm with no power and no cell phone service, I was disappointed that my land line phone wouldn't work without the modem having power.  The point of having a land line is that I want to be able to use the phone when no other modes of communication are working.  I called comcast but was basically told "too bad - the phone is connected to your modem and that's the only way it works".  Is this true?  If there is a real emergency then how do I use my land line?

Service Expert

Re: No land line during power outage

jillolej wrote:

After going through a storm with no power and no cell phone service, I was disappointed that my land line phone wouldn't work without the modem having power.  The point of having a land line is that I want to be able to use the phone when no other modes of communication are working.  I called comcast but was basically told "too bad - the phone is connected to your modem and that's the only way it works".  Is this true?  If there is a real emergency then how do I use my land line?

A small UPS will keep you powered up during a loss of power...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: No land line during power outage

hey you can always get batteries to keep your modem online during a power outage most IT techs know this and recpomed them also for your computer for a safe shut down as well

hope this helps