Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No dial tone????

Frequent Visitor

No dial tone????

Yesterday around 3am my internet and phone went out. I called comcast and they scheduled a technician to come out wed. Well today I woke up and the internet is back up all the lights on the modem are on but the LINK light is blinking really really fast. There isn't a dial tone on the phone. No matter what phone outlet I plug it into. Just silence. Anyone know what this could be?????? Here is what I got from that signals from the modem webpage :

RF Parameters Downstream Frequency 561 MHz Power -12 dBmV Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB Modulation QAM256 Upstream Frequency 30 MHz Power 59 dBmV Upstream Data Rate 2560 Ksym/sec Modulation QAM16
Status System uptime 1 days 02h:17m:24s Computers detected 1 CM Status Operational WAN Isolation OFF Time and Date Tue Jul 15 05:08:59 2008
Interface Parameters Interface Name : LANCABLEUSBMTA Provisioned Enabled State Up Speed 100 Mbps MAC address 00-10-95-ff-ff-fe
Contributor

Re: No dial tone????

plug a phone directly into the tel 1/2 port on the eMTA.  if you have a dialtone that way, it's a wiring issue. if you don't, it's an issue with the eMTA.
New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem right now.  We called comcast last week and was told that the problem was with the line in the "house" but not with Comcast.  I am going to Comcast again.  If it's not fixed in the next few days, I am going back to my old carrier.
New Poster

To the recommendation made by Chas3R...I connected my phone directly to the EMTA and received a dial tone. 

Now I need to figure out what's wrong with the wiring.  However, I switched to Comcast a few months ago and had no problems with the phone lines.  Is it really wiring or has Comcast "changed" something to create this problem?

I've read several messages from other users with the same problem. 
Regular Visitor

Another person on this message board had a similar issue which was resolvedby replacing the "wire" between the EMTA and jack.
New Poster

That does seem to have resolved the problem...