Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No dial tone from wall jack

New Poster

No dial tone from wall jack

The phone line worked just fine. Until a big snow storm, and then no dial tone. I have gone through the troubleshooting, reset, unplugged, turned off, etc., and nothing. The phone works fine when I plug it directly into the modem, but not the wall jack. Comcast is saying it's the jack, but really? Not one phone in the house works ... all the jacks have gone bad? Any suggestions?

Service Expert

Re: No dial tone from wall jack

Kamully wrote:

The phone line worked just fine. Until a big snow storm, and then no dial tone. I have gone through the troubleshooting, reset, unplugged, turned off, etc., and nothing. The phone works fine when I plug it directly into the modem, but not the wall jack. Comcast is saying it's the jack, but really? Not one phone in the house works ... all the jacks have gone bad? Any suggestions?

Yes.... this is actually quite common.... something has come apart...either a wire joint or somewhere where all of your jacks run to ( outside Dmark perhaps )....

Would be interesting to see if after the snow has melted and the area dries out if your jacks begin working again.....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Kamully wrote:

Sounds like the wall jack you are connecting to the modem is bad.  I had a case where the wires running outside were bad and quit working every time they got wet.

Administrator
Administrator

Kamully wrote:

If it is working directly to the modem this could likely be an issue with the phone jack itself, phone wiring or the junction box. A technicatian might need to be scheduled at this point, but please be aware that a charge could apply if it is an iside wiring issue. If you need any help with setting this up, let me know. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

I am having the same issue!  Not one of the phone jacks in the entire house work???  I have to have phone plugged directly into the modem.   Comcast says there will be a charge for tech to come if the problem is inside the house?  The phones worked fine Saturday morning then Sunday they all stopped?

Regular Contributor

Finding it funny how phone jacks just stop working, no static, no storm just off one day. Just like someone flipped a switch
Service Expert

katiesmine wrote:

I am having the same issue!  Not one of the phone jacks in the entire house work???  I have to have phone plugged directly into the modem.   Comcast says there will be a charge for tech to come if the problem is inside the house?  The phones worked fine Saturday morning then Sunday they all stopped?

If you have a phone connection box outside ( DMARK ) look inside it to see if anything came undone, terminals were lossened, etc....   Sounds like you were backfeeding your phone system by plugging phone line into modem and into an unused jack..  this is a standard way of doing so, but something has "come apart" within that wiring somewhere...    Phone working when plugged into Modem verifies this theory....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.