Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No Dial Tone for a week

Contributor

No Dial Tone for a week

I have made replies to other posters, but am now attempting to get some help via new post.
My Comcast phone service has been down since 7/31...neighbors(some) have also lost their service, but they are not on Comcast. "Live Chat" has been useless--6 times, the last two contacts promised a tech was coming, but they have not shown up yet. I have missed two days of work, and spent a fortune on Prepaid cellphone time attemting to contact these people.
No dial tone on ANY of my phones, and incoming calls go straight to voice mail.
TV and internet are fine. Modem has all lights EXCEPT the two phone lights FLASHING. Can anyone help me?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: No Dial Tone for a week

I don't have digital, but attempted to do a search for you on 'no dial tone'...  See if any of these links help you at all.  If not, then I guess you will need to call Comcast again and re-set a service call (get a ticket number as well) Or you could try sending a PM to a Moderator (clickable linkSmiley Happy Zhou  Good luck.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Thank you, but none of those links have helped. I did take your advice and contacted the Moderator.
Thanks
Gold Problem Solver

William:  I just saw a Moderator has responded in this thread: http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=47&thread.id=2945  Did you see it? 

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

I have seen it now, thank you Carole
Contributor

I have just read where I should plug my (new) phone directly into the 1/2 telephone port om the emta...I did, and did NOT get a dial tone.
I am waiting for the tech., for the third day in a row.
Contributor

Also, there is no battery in the compartment that has a "AA" battery pictured on it. Is there supposed to be a battery in there?, and, if so, what kind of battery could possibly fit into this HUGE opening? There are no traditional contacts inside--one bar type in the side of it....I know, I'm ignorant! 
Gold Problem Solver

William:  way over my head....Smiley Sad Hope someone with digital phone knowledge or a Mod sees your posts, or the service guy comes & fixes it all for you.  You said you "read about plugging in your new phone",etc.  Can you copy/paste that information?  Also might be helpful to post the brand/model of your modem,phone,etc.  You mentioned a battery....and a large empty spot for a battery? Are you referring to the phone itself?  And- you are not ignorant, just like many of us, maybe a teensy bit technically challenged? Smiley Happy Good luck.

Message Edited by CCCarole on 08-07-2008 02:02 PM

Contributor

CCCarole, The info was in one of the links you referred me to. I will try to get the info copied, and pasted into this post. I am not much good at these things, tho.
The clearer instructions were in another post:
"plug a phone directly into the tel 1/2 port on the eMTA.  if you have a dialtone that way, it's a wiring issue. if you don't, it's an issue with the eMTA."
my modem is an "Arris" model # TM502G/CT. My phones are various brands, two corded (one new one just to be sure they weren't all fried in the storm that night), one cordless, and one attached to my All-in-one printer/scanner/fax. None of them work.
AT&T have told my neighbors that they will have lines repaired on Monday, but the Comcast rep. told me I am in NO WAY connected to those lines...then why did all our phones go out at the same time? My landlord said 30% of the residents in this Mobile Home Park have lost, and still do not have, phone service--no matter that we don't all have the same providers...?
The empty battery compartment is in my modem...shouldn't they have installed, or told me to install, one?or two, or whatever?

Message Edited by williamharold on 08-07-2008 01:07 PM
Gold Problem Solver

William- Don't worry about copy/paste what you read since anyone that reads this Thread can click on the link and go right to those three posts.  Did a Service person come out today?  As I've said, I know very little about the digital phones and how they work... But- I do believe you do need to have batteries in the  Arris. I have no clue why you were not told to put batteries in it.  Can you see how many batteries need to go in it?  Ok- As I've said, this is beyond what I know, so I am going to try to reach one of my friends that help out here & see if he can find time to review this Thread. It sounds like there are some issues with the phone lines (AT&T) and the cable lines in your mobile park. Sure wish I could help you more. 

Contributor

Lost Cause here

I appreciate your help, but my husband(the REAL William, I am Dena) has ordered me to get rid of this **bleep**. No tech. has shown up...I used my daughter's cell phone to call, and was on hold for 25 minutes. The rep then came on and told me my tech. was "running 100% behind", there was static, and we were disconnected. I haven't gotten any response from anyone from Comcast, and am so frustrated with the treatment I have received, that I am blasting out at YOU! How rude of me. I just don't think this is anything I need to persue any farther.
Thank you for your kindness.
William and Dena
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Lost Cause here

Dena, I am very sorry, I have done what I can, which I know wasn't enough to help you out.  The Help Forums are mainly Users who come here on their own time and help out if/when they can.  There are moderators/Addminstrators as well, but it is primarily the Users who help out most often.  maybe a Service Tech will still show up today, but later in the day (crossed fingers)  In the upper right hand corner you will see a yellow envelope... That is a Private Message (PM) from me.  Click on it to read.  You can also reply to it there as well.

Gold Problem Solver

Dena,  Well, at least we know more than at the beginning of this Thread....Smiley Happy I've done some talking/ researching and have found out a few things.  Yep, a battery, or batteries should have been installed in the Arris modem, have no clue why/how that was overlooked.  Smiley SadThe battery tho, is only used as a back-up if the power goes out, and it has a limited time of usage on battery power.  Couple things you may want to do- Install the correct number of batteries in the Arris, AND also look on the back of the Arris, you should see a 're-set' button.  You may need to use a paperclip in the re-set button to re-set the modem.  It sure does sound to me like there are issues in your park tho- what with AT&T phones not working as well as cable... I do believe the Comcast person was correct in telling you that the AT &T lines have nothing at all to do with the cable phone lines because the Comcast cable goes through their own coaxial cable, not AT&T phone lines. 
One more idea... You said you have a wired phone, have you tried plugging in that phone to one of the phone ports of the eMTA?  If the phone doesn't work, you are back to absolutely needing Comcast out.  Just one more thing to think about Dena- If there is a problem also with AT&T in the park right now, they may not be able to get service up & running for you quickly either... You did say many phones are out, correct?  Please don't think I am pushing Comcast, it is your decisons what you do totally, just giving you some food for thought.  I hope your next post tells me the service guy showed up tonight. 

Contributor

Hello, again, Carole,
I have pushed the reset button--that is when all the indicator lights started flashing. I have also plugged the corded phone into the jack on the emta, and got no dial tone.  AT&T has notified their customers of problems caused during a lightening storm that night, and yes, it will be Monday before they expect to have it all repaired. My problem with Comcast is that they have run me around in circles, had me take off work THREE days in a row, promising a tech., and not ONE of them has admitted there could be something wrong other than my inside wiring. If they would just  DO  something --tell me something believable,  I wouldn't have a problem waiting. But they won't even admit that I don't have phone service!! One lady called my cell phone, said she was 'someone' from Comcast, and that she had called my #, gotten an answer, and the man said he did not know us, and did not live at our service address.????DUH? She dialed the wrong #. I called immediately after hanging up, and, as has been the case for the last 8 days, it went straight to the VoiceMail. Now, I am assuming she has canceled my service calls, because
"your phone is working fine"--"you just don't know your phone number"......what is that? I am sorry, once again, to vent in your direction. I am disappointed in Comcast, and don't know how to get my Font back on!! Hahaa!
Thanks,
Dena   
P.S.- I am still waiting--when I went to the AT&T site, I just couldn't click on the order button!
Gold Problem Solver

Dena, The only thing left for me to say is I have had Comcast for HSI and TV for many,many years now- I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to call for any sort of problems in all those years.  I know, that doesn't help you, and again, I am sorry.  The best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Contributor

I, too have been a loyal Comcast customer--both here, and when we lived in Virginia (oh, how I miss that place!), and had very few problems until this phone thing. But my mother is 89 years old, still stubbornly living alone, and depends on me, for everything, so I need a reliable phone provider. Yes, AT&T is down now too, so I will wait, and see.
Thank you for all your help, and for allowing me to vent.
Sincerely
Gold Problem Solver

Dean, Don't bother to add batteries, if/when the service tech comes out, they will do that.  Take care, C.

Connection Expert

This is shameful... It is my understanding that CC puts a much higher priority to CDV outages due to the importance of the 911 emergency call service..

Spit sometimes happens, and it is a granted that technical issues, or acts of God are always a possibility with any service provider, and they may take an unusual amount of time to correct, but that does not justify the way that you are being treated...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

To bring you up to date:
"Live Chat" says I do have a work order out there, and please give him until 10pm--it is now 10:01pm, and I am tired, tired, tired. And going to bed.And off to work in the am--I cannot afford to lose any more work over this.
I am very disappointed in this company. But, I DO appreciate the comfort of this forum, if for nothing else, but to vent.
I shall report in tomorrow....maybe it can be fixed from outside?!? Wouldn't That be nice?
Contributor

Well, Glory BE!! Today while I was at work, the Comcast tech. called, and said he was at my house!! (The only day this week, that no one was scheduled to come), so my kind boss said "Go". Mark, I believe he said, was so polite, and kind, and efficient! He went straight to the modem, and it only took him 2 seconds to tell me it was "bad",  (the modem, that is, not the situation) and about 30 minutes total, to get one of my phones back on...connection to main phone is going to require rewiring, but what the heck? At least I can go to the back, and use a phone, if I have to!
 My faith in Comcast has been restored. I just know they will be back in a reasonable amount of time, to take care of the rest of it...
Thank you all, for your help, and encouragement!
William and Dena
Gold Problem Solver

williamharold wrote:
Well, Glory BE!! Today while I was at work, the Comcast tech. called, and said he was at my house!! (The only day this week, that no one was scheduled to come), so my kind boss said "Go". Mark, I believe he said, was so polite, and kind, and efficient! He went straight to the modem, and it only took him 2 seconds to tell me it was "bad",  (the modem, that is, not the situation) and about 30 minutes total, to get one of my phones back on...connection to main phone is going to require rewiring, but what the heck? At least I can go to the back, and use a phone, if I have to!
 My faith in Comcast has been restored. I just know they will be back in a reasonable amount of time, to take care of the rest of it...
Thank you all, for your help, and encouragement!
William and Dena

Smiley HappySmiley Wink  Great news!  I am so glad that Comcast has come through for you and really glad to hear that 'Mark' the service tech was nice and efficent as well!  C.