Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New service, NO MODEM BATTERY! Small Claims Court

New Poster

New service, NO MODEM BATTERY! Small Claims Court

So we decide to save money each month and consolidate cable tv, internet, and phone into one package. Since uverse is not available in this area I called Comcast.

Dropped phone service & DSL. Comcast ported phone service and added internet to their cable tv.

Two days later I start thinking about power outages with all the weather we've been having and I look at the modem and there is no battery in it.

Now on 8/30, I specifically asked the installer what happens during a power outage and he said, "the modem battery will keep the phones working for 8 hours".  I thought, ok that is fine.

So I call comcast today and tell them it looks like the installer forgot to install the battery and they tell me THE BATTERIES ARE NOT GOING TO BE AVAILABLE FOR 6 TO 8 WEEKS!!!!!! Hello...that is two months!!  NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!  Why didn't comcast tell me this when I ordered this service?? I could have waited but nooooooo one said anything about it...

My 85 yr old mother and 80 yr old uncle also live in the house hold and the phone going out with the power is not acceptable. If the modem had the battery they could call me at work and I could monitor a power outage and prepare for an extended outage.

comcast said there is nothing they could do!!  NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

I've been to the return centers before and see all the people in line with equipment and I'm sure someone has returned one of these modems (even the new TG852G/CT units) and there is a battery somewhere in one of the centers.

So...beware!  I'm probably going to go buy a small ups and then file in small claims court for the cost since comcast, when asked, said the phone modem has a battery but...it doesn't...

Oh...after talking with un-concerned customer service, guess what???...about 45 minutes later the power bliped and went out...Thurs afternoon 9/1...the neighbors will confirm it...no rain, no storms...rare but it happens...no phones during this time...why, no battery for 6 to 8 weeks!!!

Cable Expert

Re: New service, NO MODEM BATTERY! Small Claims Co

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified of your post.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

Jay and I both caught this one at the same time. Fortunately, I saw he had escalated it first so I cancelled my escalation.

I do, however, have something else to add:

Call Comcast again. This time have the following page open. Read #3 to the person you talk to and let that person know you want the credit. A missing battery qualifies as an install that was not completed.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html

We will resolve routine issues in one visit or we'll credit you $20 or give you a free premium channel for three months.

After the first visit to your home, if we do not satisfactorily complete installation or can’t resolve a routine issue, we will credit you $20 or give you a free premium channel for three months. Additionally, we won’t charge you for a service visit that results from a Comcast equipment or network problem.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

A 20 dollar credit is not a solution and does nothing toward resolving this issue...

Service Expert

Where in my post did I say it was a "solution"?

I mentioned so you would know it's available to you.

Your choice whether to ask for it or not.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Sorry for the late reply, I have contacted local to see about getting you a battery for your EMTA.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Cable Expert

And don't forget to get an UPS for your cordless phone too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

A battery arrived last week.  Maybe the squeeky wheel does get service.  Thanks for passing this problem along.

Just found another issue this past week which seems harder to get fixed.  I will start another topic about it.  I've called and reported it twice with no update or response. I tried to call my local bank and all I get is a recording, "we were unable to complete your request"... The same number works from my phone at work and my cell phones. The number is Regions Bank. 615-781-7000. Since I'm local I only dial 781-7000.  Unheard of...I've been in the telecom industry since '79 and a CLEC should be able to fix this situation.

Frequent Visitor

This is my fault for not checking the modem after the so-called Comcast tech installed the phone service.  Well I just checked the modem and there is no  battery installed.  No wonder we lost phone service during a recent power outage.  I guess I will go to the local office on Mainstream Dr. and get the battery that I should already have. 

See if I can get the $20.00 credit.  And as John Wayne said in one of his movies "That'll be the day"

Cable Expert

You can just order it on-line :https://www.comcastsupport.com/tools/EmtaBatteryManagement/Start.aspx

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I too recently subscribed to additional Comcast services in order to save money by bundling. Because I wanted the security and reliability of a wired landline I chose the phone service as opposed to just using my cellphone. While going through the setup instructions it says "install the battery". Oh s%.! no battery, can't complete setup, call Comcast 4 times, can't understand tech support  2x due to language barrier and the fact that they only read from a script so if you tell them something out of order they are completely lost, eventually give up after explaining to the last internet rep that I want to talk to the sales rep after she tells me that they don't ship batteries anymore but some of the setup materials still include this information. I ask her directly what happens in a power outage. Well without a battery you won't have service. No kidding! Back to my original point of having a hard wired phone! They offered to transfer me to battery department to buy one, NOT ACCEPTABLE! Will re-think using them for phone/internet!

New Poster

I just received the new phone and internet modem and it came with no back up battery. I called Comcast and was told that I have to purchase one at a cost of $35 plus shipping and handling. The battery should be included with the rental of the modem. This is bad service from Comcast since phone service is a life line service and I need the phone to work in case of a power failure. I am going to file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission. Also, this is not the way to treat a 15 year loyal customer.

New Poster

Re: New service, NO MODEM BATTERY!

I guess it is another Comcast bait and switch!  They sent me a new modem but neglected to mention there was no battery backuo for the phone.  This was a major reason I agreed to switch to internet phone service.  I was assured by Comcast that I would have phone service when the power goes out JUST LIKE THE PHONE COMPANY!  Well guess what, they changed their policy and now I am stuck.  

I just received the new modem from comcast with no mention of the battery or lack there of and no mention of how to get a battery clearly comcast is ignoring the issue and hoping customers don't notice the change. Their arrogance is frustrating however it is motivating me to cut the cord and find another alternative.