Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New phone & Internet Service

Frequent Visitor

New phone & Internet Service

Wanted to add phone & internet but didnt think about how that works..currently TV is in one room downstairs (xonnected to xfinity)phone is both downstairs and upstairs computer is upstairs..how will I be able to do this..do I have to run new lines?

Cable Expert

Re: New phone & Internet Service

Typically you would just swap your internet modem for a modem that can also handle telephone service (known as an EMTA). Many customers simply hook up a cordless phone(s) directly to the modem. You can also use the modem to energize your home's entire phone system so it works just like a traditional phone. After physically unhooking your traditional phone service, you would run a phone line from the EMTA and plug it into a phone jack. This type of installation usually requires a tech though, as it can get a little complicated. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Typically you would just swap your internet modem for a modem that can also handle telephone service (known as an EMTA). Many customers simply hook up a cordless phone(s) directly to the modem. You can also use the modem to energize your home's entire phone system so it works just like a traditional phone. After physically unhooking your traditional phone service, you would run a phone line from the EMTA and plug it into a phone jack. This type of installation usually requires a tech though, as it can get a little complicated. 

Requires a tech?????

If you can plug in a phone you can do it.  It's that easy.

If you can replace a light bulb, then you have enough technical knowledge.

Connection Expert

How about disconnecting the phone system wiring from the NID if one is going to backfeed the premise's existing wiring for all the jacks to work ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon