Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Install Issue

Frequent Visitor

New Install Issue

I had the Comcast Digital Telephone service for many years and no issues or problems. But now Comcast decided to discontinue that service and go to the new improved VOIP Digital Voice by July 31 and needed to upgrade me ASAP.

7/5/07 Thursday 10:00 am to 2:30 PM
Installer arrived made the switch, and rewired the BellSouth box, but when he plugged into the home wiring only half the phones had dial tone. He spent the next few hours rewiring the what he had done in telephone company box.  Finally all phones had dial tone and he called Comcast for the welcome call.
7/5/07 Thursday 6:30 PM
Cell phone rings and its my daughter saying she was worried that everytime she called the house phone it went directly to Voice Mail, no ringing or anything. I call Comcast on the cell phone and they verify that I can make calls but not recieve them with my new service. The rep apologized and set up a "Must Do" for tomorrow between 2 and 5pm.
7/6/07 Friday 6:15 PM
No one arrived so I called Comcast to see how late the tech would be. The rep told me that there was an internal error and there was "No Quota" available so a tech wasn't scheduled. I will admit I got more than slightly peeved when he said they tried to call but the phone wasn't working and could I give him a reliable contact number. At this point he offered a $20 credit for the missed appointment, called dispatch and set up a new appointment for tomorrow between 8 and 11 am. I told him I would be home even if the call ahead call didn't go through and to show up anyway.
7/7/07 Saturday 11:00 AM
No tech yet.
Called Comcast and they informed me I am now on a "No Schedule" work order and they aren't sure when they can come out. The rep did say she will apply a credit for all days I am without correct service (wonderful).
I pressed them for a time and the lady rep told me the "First Available" is 7/11/07 next week.

Just picked up my mail from the box and guess what... Comcast bill is there. Sure enough the telephone charge is on the bill already with the appropriate prorated charge but not the $20 credit.

So at this point I have:
1. a non-functioning phone
2. a $20 credit (applied next month)
3. a credit for all days without phone service (applied next month)
4. a bill for prorated service and next months service (due now)
5. an appointment for repair 5 days away with a company that has already missed two scheduled appointments

Can anyone say "Customer Service"?

Most Valued Poster

Re: New Install Issue

Since this forum is mostly users helping other users there isn't much we can do, but hopefully one of the moderators can help you. 

I've asked a moderator to take a look and see if they can do anything to help out. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi there,

I'm currently working on fixing this problem and hope to have a resolution soon. Please check your email for a message from me.

As a reminder for everyone else, the fastest way to obtain assistance is to contact us via chat or telephone. However, if you prefer, you can contact a moderator via email.

Thanks!

StevenS

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the email Steven.

We actually spoke on the phone about noon on Sunday and Steven said he would contact dispatch in Jacksonviile and attempt to escalate the repair to hopefully today(Sunday 7/8/07 install+3) or tomorrow (Monday 7/9/07 install+4).
Steven called back an hour or so later and sadly related the fact that escalations had to be initiated locally only.
On the bright side, I haven't lost my appointment for Wednesday (7/11/07 install+6).

Once again, thanks to Steven for his good attitude and attempted help.

Don

Frequent Visitor

It's now Monday and about 8:30 am, got a call from Comcast and I'm on the repair list for today, not sure what time they can arrive, but say it will be sometime today. Its actually an 8:00 am to 8:00 pm schedule. Maybe things are looking up Smiley Happy

Message Edited by DonHealey on 07-09-2007 02:49 PM
Most Valued Poster

Good luck!

DonHealey wrote:
It's now Monday and about 8:30 am, got a call from Comcast and I'm on the repair list for today, not sure what time they can arrive, but say it will be sometime today. Maybe things are looking up Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Its now 7:00 pm and no tech, but just had a call from Steve at Comcast asking if the tech had arrived yet? When I said no, he called dispatch and called me right back. It turns out the work order info was transmitted electronically to a sub-contractor and their computer system is not working properly. It seems to me that if a sub-contractor isnt getting work orders then they wont be working that day and one might start to ask questions.
Anyhow the new date for repair is now re-set for Wednesday (7/11/07 install+6) from 8:00am to 11:00am.

If this wasn't so sad it would actually be funny. 

Message Edited by DonHealey on 07-09-2007 04:18 PM
Frequent Visitor

Well finally some good news.

Its now Tuesday, no repair appointment until tomorrow, Wednesday, and the repair contractor knocks on my door at 6:30 pm to do the repair. Of course I am glad to see him, even if I was just sitting down to supper.
He did the repair by rewiring what the original contractor had done in the house and at the BellSouth box outside. 3 hours later at 9:15 pm all phones have dial tone, make and recieve calls.
At this point everything appears to be working, I thanked him, and have my fingers crossed that all will remain ok.

As a side note, the voice quality and sound level of the service right now is excellent.

Don
Frequent Visitor

Hello all, its Wednesday morning and I have no dial tone on any phone again. They phones did work when the contractor left last night at 9:30pm but now dont work at 10:00 am when I tried to make a call.
Once again I call Comcast on the cell, and speak to a nice rep who verifies I have an issue, apologizes, puts me on hold, calls the contractor , and gets my permission to to give my cell number to them so that contractor can call me back.

Still waiting... no phone.....
Frequent Visitor

Contractor arrived about 11:15 am, rewired the Bellsouth box again as well as the outlet in the same room as the the telephone modem. I still had a dead short somewhere. He then troubleshot each jack in the house until he found the only one causing problems. Unfortunately it's an outside weatherproof jack and he doesn't have repair parts. But if I pick up a replacement, he said to give his company a call and they will install it at no charge.
We double checked all lines for ability to make and recieve calls and all appears to be ok once again.
SteveS from Comcast called to check how things are progressing just as the contractor was leaving the driveway and said he would call back later this evening to make sure all is still ok.

Steve is really committed to making the customer experience positive and I applaud his efforts and dedication.
Frequent Visitor

Hi DonHealey,

I’m very glad that we were able to finally able to get your problem narrowed down to an outdoor—not an indoor— phone jack. I’m also sorry that it took so much effort to get a technician out to your home in a timely manner. If you have any other difficulties please feel free to contact us for assistance. Thank you so much for your patience!

StevenS