Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Feature suggestion

Regular Visitor

New Feature suggestion

I would like to offer a suggestion for a new feature. Basically it would act very much like a "find me/follow me". It would work like selective call forwarding, where you would have a list of numbers that if they call your home phone would ring as normal but instead of going to voice mail after the specified number of rings people on that list would be forwarded to one of your preset forward numbers. Others not on the list would go to voicemail as normal. It seems that all the abilities to do this already exist and this would require some small programming to pull it off. I would find this very useful. Maybe some others would too. Please comment.

Thanks...
Most Valued Poster

Re: New Feature suggestion

There are already already two features available for call forwarding.  The first option is for anybody who calls to be redirected to the number you specified.  The second option is for a select list of callers to be redirected. 

Are you asking for the ability to have the calls to be forwarded to multiple numbers instead of just a single number?

247 wrote:
I would like to offer a suggestion for a new feature. Basically it would act very much like a "find me/follow me". It would work like selective call forwarding, where you would have a list of numbers that if they call your home phone would ring as normal but instead of going to voice mail after the specified number of rings people on that list would be forwarded to one of your preset forward numbers. Others not on the list would go to voicemail as normal. It seems that all the abilities to do this already exist and this would require some small programming to pull it off. I would find this very useful. Maybe some others would too. Please comment.

Thanks...

Regular Visitor

Actually, no. What I am suggesting is not a call forward where the incoming call is forwarded to say your cell phone. Instead of just immediatley forwarding it, it could ring the home phone first, then if no answer and the incoming number is in a "follow me" list it would forward to your cell instead of going to voicemail. Hope this clears it up...
Most Valued Poster

247 wrote:
Actually, no. What I am suggesting is not a call forward where the incoming call is forwarded to say your cell phone. Instead of just immediatley forwarding it, it could ring the home phone first, then if no answer and the incoming number is in a "follow me" list it would forward to your cell instead of going to voicemail. Hope this clears it up...

Actually used to have a service like that....only problem was that callers seemed to get fed up waiting for an answer and hung up first....

How about designated numbers all ringing at the same time...first to pick up gets the call???
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Most Valued Poster

It seems like almost everybody has an answering machine or voicemail.  I think that most people would hang up after 6 or 7 rings.  I remember as a kid we used to let it ring 10 times before hanging up.  If you create a chain of numbers to try, and let each one ring 4 times, ther person calling would have to listen to 8 rings before it started on your second forwarded number.  I think that many people would hang up by that point. 

I like Me's suggestion of the call ringing on many lines at once.  Not sure how hard that is to do.

Me wrote:

247 wrote:

Actually used to have a service like that....only problem was that callers seemed to get fed up waiting for an answer and hung up first....

How about designated numbers all ringing at the same time...first to pick up gets the call???

Most Valued Poster

I just saw a service that will ring multiple phones at once.  You can customize it based on groups or individual numbers.  Check out this site for more information: http://www.grandcentral.com/home
Regular Visitor

I use BroadVoice, they (and others) have a feature called "Simultaneous Ring"... it can ring up to three or four numbers at the same time.  Whichever phone picks up first gets the call. I give everyone my VoIP (home) number, they call that and my home phones ring and my cell rings at the same time. I have voicemail on my cell phone that I use - easiest for me always know if I got a new message.  I live alone, otherwise I'd use the home phone's voicemail.  I had used call forwarding, even selective forwarding, etc... but have really grown to like this feature.  I also like the distinctive ring feature.  I enjoy having home numbers in two area codes, although the value of that is less now (as most have free long distance).
Regular Visitor

If Comcast incorporates this feature, I'd probably switch.
Frequent Visitor

Dear 247,

Thank you for you post. Comcast is always looking for new ways to enhance our digital voice service and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Your request to have the call forwarding feature ring a specified number of times on your CDV line before it is forwarded to a selected number is a great idea. I will have this forwarded to our development team for consideration. Please continue to provide feedback as we are always looking for new ideas for improvements.

JasonL

Frequent Visitor

I just switched from Vonage to Comcast digital voice and I too would like to see 

Simultaneous ringing. When I had it activated all calls would ring the vonage number and my cell phone and anyone ould answer from the home phone or the cell phone. I am very sorry to have lost that feature. I think alot of people like and use this feature, I hope we will see it soon through Comcast.

Wayne

New Poster

This is a huge deficiency -- Find me/follow me has been a standard VoIP feature for the last 5 years!!

New Poster

Where is the option for Simultaneous Ring? I had this on my other voip, and was the best part about my old service. I will just be here for my 12 months. 

Frequent Visitor

I see that people have been asking for Simultaneous Ring since 2003 and 2004. Most voip systems have it. I use to be able to forward my phone to my cell phone and leave it that way both phones would ring at the same time and when a call came in if I was still in the house I could answer it on the house phone, with comcast service if I forget to forward the phone I don't get my calls, if I am in the house and have forgotten to unforward the phone then I have to take it on my cell phone. Here it is 2012 and still no Simultaneous Ring. I see from the post you were going to pass it on to the development people that was 2007. Is there any hope of getting this new feature?

Frequent Visitor

I asked as soon as I switched to comcast last year and nothing, I see people as far back as 2003 and 2004 have been asking for it toooooo! I guess they are really behind when it comes to technology!

New Poster

great feature

Simultaneous ring...when will comcast get it?

New Poster

Simultaneous ring?

When will comcast get on board with this great feature?

Regular Visitor

I would like to actually also see the option to forward after a user set amount of rings. Vantage offers this feature. Then people at the first number can catch the call before the transfer. We have a separate house and giving others a chance to see the caller ID and decide if they should answer would be handy!

New Poster

I wish Comcast Voice had "simultaneous ring" like WOW did on their voice features.

New Poster

Come on Comcast....Step up on this simultaneous ring feature.

New Poster

I really like the idea of the simultaneous ring. It would make things easier for folks to call us "at home". All we have to do is set up the mobile numbers to ring with it. I can do this with Google Voice, but I don't have a local number for folks to call, and when they try to text me at that number, it usually takes awhile to get the texts. Plus it's one less number to worry about if I can do it with my current home number. Another feature that I would like to see is call transfer. Vonage has this and it seems like a great idea. I don't have to initiate the call from my cell, but can transfer to it later. This feature would have been convenient several times over for me. Thanks for listening.
New Poster

I agree.. I had simultring on my vonage and didn't even think to check with comcast that they had it (seems natural). Will probably cancel my account and go back to vonage if they dont' get it (which I don't expect them to!)

Cable Expert

Check into Google Voice, it's free.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

OK I am not sure why Comcast has been hearing this complaint for years and has done nothing with it. All the other VOIP services have either automatic call forwarding or Simultaneous Ring so I can't understand why Comcast, being the large provider they are, can't add the service. With todays technology, local schools, weather, and government services are sending messages to your home phone in cases of emergency. Should our Voice Service go out, for any reason (loss of electric, cable outage etc), there is NO automatic call forwarding. If the cable service goes out for any reason the phone system should automatically reroute calls to the number of our choice, not just go to voice mail. This becomes a safety issue more than a nice thing to have. Come on Comcast, we customers who have been loyal to you for many years are requesting.....no....demanding that you make the change and add the service for us to be able to have automatic call forwarding after a certain number of rings or be able to simultaneous ring any of our numbers as all the other companies do. It's a matter of safety and not just a matter of "it would be nice" !!!!  I would like a customer relations person to address this issue and get back to us. If I get nothing back I will be following it up with a call to someone who might be able to get answers.