Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Equipment Replaces Voice Modem?

Regular Contributor

New Equipment Replaces Voice Modem?

This morning I called to add digital voice service to my existing CATV and HSI service. Everything went smoothly, and I'm looking forward to the install.

My phone rep said (if I understood her correctly) that I will not receive a voice modem to replace my existing modem. Instead, I'll keep my existing modem and Comcast will connect my phone line directly to their network.

Has anyone had this kind of install? Does it mean that I can buy myself a 'regular' cable modem to replace the modem I currently lease and save the monthly lease fee? (Right now, in my market, it's not possible to buy a voice modem.)

Cable Expert

Re: New Equipment Replaces Voice Modem?

That information is incorrect, you will need a Comcast supplied eMTA telephony modem to connect your inside wiring to.   That will replace your existing cable modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you. That's the way I thought it was supposed to be.

Regular Contributor

I have my own Docsis3 modem that I would like to continue using. Is their a standalone Voip adapter that is approved by comcast that I can use with my existing modem?  I recently received a RCA DHG536C from comcast. I would rather not pay $7/mo. in rental fees for the RCA when I already own a better modem than the one they're leasing me. Emta devices seem to be in the $130 range which is a little out of my budget. Are Obihai unlocked Voip adapters compatible with comcast?

Cable Expert

There is no phone only adapter, the ones for sale are all Arris TM722G eMTA's, combo HSI and phone at $150 plus tax and any installation costs.

You are welcome to use the purchased eMTA for phone and your existing cable modem for HSI.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon