Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Never received backup battery

Frequent Visitor

Never received backup battery

I received an email nag telling me that I need to replace the backup battery for my voice modem. Well, of course I do, because the installer never gave me one. I called the number in the message to be told that I need to purchase the battery because they no longer give them to customers with new installs.This policy became effective February 26.

Here's the thing: my installation was February 2, before this new policy went into effect, and the installer never gave me a battery, something I discovered in the last four days due to sporadic power problems in my neighborhood. Because this was clearly an error on the part of the installer, I am entitled to a battery at no charge. I tried to explain this to the rep, who continued his explanation of what the battery does and why it's a good thing to have--information I repeatedly told him I already knew--until I finally interrupted him and told him I wanted to speak to his supervisor. After being on hold for over 5 minutes, he came back on to tell me that all of the supervisors were in a meeting.

Um, yeah.

He suggested I call customer service and transferred me to the main customer service tree. After navigating through the prompts to the Voice section, I got the, "You are now being transferred..." message, followed by a fast busy signal.

There doesn't appear to be a way to actually send an email to customer service, so I'm posting here. Yeah, I realize I probably won't get a response, but at least the venting helped calm me down to the point that I'm not going to throw Comcast's equipment out the window.

Now I'm off to complain about the fact that my (and apprently everybody's) X1 DVR service hasn't worked for the last few days.

I suppose the silver lining here is that I'm not locked into a contract right now. Time to checkout the competition, I think.

Contributor

Re: Never received backup battery

Jason,

Try an Email to we_can_help@comcast.com include all your account details and a good contact number, they usually call within a couple of hours. I've always had a good experience doing that....

Silver Problem Solver

do you have cordless phones that plug into the wall?  Even with the battery if the power is out you cant make a call as the phone has no power at the base. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input, Rog, but not really relevant here. This isn't a case where I'm trying to figure out why the thing didn't work. I know that: the missing backup battery.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, jabberer. I'll give it a try and report back here.

Frequent Visitor

I got my voice modem installed last week.  The tech asked where is the battery.  Phone support told me that Comcast is no longer supplying the battery.  You have to pay $35 plus shipping now for the battery.

Frequent Visitor

Yep. That's what my message says.

Regular Visitor

I had a new modem installed 2-3 yrs. ago never knew there was a battery backup. One was never installed at the time. so now I get the "lette " telling me either my battery is dead or I took it out.  Well the way I look at-- it how can you take something out when you didn't know you had it! When my modem was installed not one person said a darn thing about needing a battery back up.. even a land line won't work if you use a cordless phone. Do I really need to spend $35.00 plus $5.95 S&H to buy something I probably will never need? I think it it A rip off.

Frequent Visitor

ndgeegee, I don't think you're required to buy the battery. It is ironic, though, that we never got these nags until they started selling the batteries, isn't it?

Frequent Visitor

I exchanged my old D2 modem for a D3 modem last week (in order to get the faster interent speeds) and discovered that the new modem lacked the battery backup.  I just don't get what Xfinity is thinking in doing this.  I managed to talk the local Xfinity store to give me a battery, but if I rent the equipment from you, you should make sure it has all the right parts, particularly when I might need my phone during a power failure.

Which reminds me to remind you to have at least one phone that doesn't rely on power to make a phone call.

jim