Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Need to switch to CDV

Contributor

Need to switch to CDV

I received the notice that I need to switch but I have a question before I do.  I fix computers and setup networks in people's home occasionally, maybe once or twice a month word-of-mouth type of thing.  A couple times I've had a problem where they couldn't get on the internet and thought there was something wrong with their router.  After I get there and investigate a little, it ends up that the Internet modem isn't receiving an IP address at all but the telephone modem is.  I try restarting the internet modem but it doesn't work and the only solution is to plug the router into the telephone modem and ditch the internet modem.   Well, I don't want that happening to me, I'd like to keep them seperate.  My internet modem is in the living room and I'd like the telephone modem in the basement.    Is there a solution if this problem does accur to me?  Do/can they give you a seperate IP address for the telephone modem?  Thanks.
Regular Contributor

Re: Need to switch to CDV

There was a post a month or so that someone was asking the same thing and it sounded like it could be done.
Email Expert

I think this is the thread GDM_Husky is referring to.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

That be the one Smiley Happy
Contributor

Thanks for the link, but I still have a question...I think I have a seperate drop now because I'm have Comcast Digital Phone (I think, too dark to see, double-check in the morning).  Can they use this existing drop?  Does having a second drop guarantee it's a seperate IP and I won't have problems as mentioned above?