Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

My experience with Arris TM822G and SMC smcd3gnv

Frequent Visitor

My experience with Arris TM822G and SMC smcd3gnv

I am in the San Jose, California service area and want to share here my recent experience with the two different modems above. I was on Comcast internet with my own Motorola sb6120 modem for several years. Two months ago, I added Voice service and to accommodate that received the TM822G self-install kit. This modem failed to work reliably for the combination of internet and voice. Often the speed would drop down dramatically and the voice would be either garbled or one side or other could not hear the other side. Resetting and power recycling and numerous calls to support would temporarily fix the issue and soon afterward the problems would appear again. I then ended up splitting the signal and using the Motorola sb6120 for internet and the tm822g for voice. The internet became reliable while the voice continued to have intermittent issues. I requested support to replace the modem to see if the modem was the issue. Support complied with the request promptly and I ended up receiving the smcd3gnv modem, by mistake, I think. I was going to return it and ask for a replacement tm822g but on an impulse, improvised 2 corner brackets to create a wall mount for the modem and connected it to the cable.

I have been live on the smcd3gnv for about 2 1/2 days now and both the internet and the voice have been fucntioning quite well so far. I will post an update in a few more days. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: My experience with Arris TM822G and SMC smcd3g

After working well for 5 days, my voice quality has become garbled again. I have reset the SMC modem and this does not fix the issue. I am back to square 1. Sigh.