Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Move: Told we cannot keep old phone number

New Poster

Move: Told we cannot keep old phone number

We just moved two miles to a new home.  Comcast has told us that we cannot keep our old phone number, even though our new location is in the same area code and city.  One technical support staff (we talked to several!) told us that it is because we are in a new Rate area.  I checked online and found only information about Rate Centers.  We are still in the same Rate Center.

It seems each time we talk to a new Comcast representative we get different information on this topic.  Ideas?  How can I find someone in Comcast who really knows what's going on?

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

Re: Move: Told we cannot keep old phone number

That would be correct in most large cities. The number is still owned by the original company that you ported it from to Comcast. If you were given the number originally by Comcast. They have to comply with Federal & State regulations, when it comes to telephone service. Since they are a Telephone Company at that point.

Now you may be able to port your current home number over to OOma. I would check with them at ooma.com and see if they can do it.
New Poster

Thanks for the pointer to OOma.

New Poster

It will cost $40. to port the number to an Ooma device. You can purchase the device at costco and many other places for $125. The change takes 3-6 weeks once you have applied for the request through Ooma. The device needs to be connected to your home network, and best if close to your cable/modem via a router. Once installed you essentially have VOIP similar to your Comcast account. There is a fee for communication taxes etc of about $5./month to use the service.

When we tested the Ooma service prior to porting our number it was crystal clear with no voice lag. Since we've moved 100% onto the Ooma system there have been numerous issues with voice drop-outs and long lag time making it hard to carry on a normal conversation. We have internet speed of up to 50 mbs, so that shouldn't be the problem. I think we can get the service working correctly, we may just have to do some trouble shooting. It costs a few dollars up front to get started with Ooma, but after that $5/month is a far cry from any service provider plans out there.

Just thought you should know about the costs associated with the Ooma, and potential quality issues you may face.