Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Modem Rental Charge with Bought Modem - BEWARE!!!!

Frequent Visitor

Modem Rental Charge with Bought Modem - BEWARE!!!!

I recently re-signed with Comcast on the new Triple Play package.  I've been a customer for about 15 years, just wanted a new deal.  Bought the DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA cable modem at Best Buy and the Comcast rep registered it at the store so I didn't have to rent one.  The tech came out and installed it along with all of the other gear that goes with the package.  My first bill shows a charge for a modem rental among other incorrect charges.  Chatted with customer service for an hour just to confirm the fact that I indeed did buy a modem and did not receive one at install time, as well as fixing other incorrect billing issues.  Once the internet rep finally switched my status from rental to own, I was transferred back to billing to get a credit for the current charge.  Billing informs me that there's no way to credit the charge without disrupting the service and that I have to pay the modem rental charge.  This is crazy and I'm sure it's incorrect.  When I asked to be transferred to someone else who could fix the issue, the chat rep closed the session with a 'have a nice day, thanks for your time' message.  Awesome. 

Cable Expert

Re: Modem Rental Charge with Bought Modem - BEWARE

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will take care of it.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

I own my own eMTA and got charged for two months rental after I returned theirs also.  They took care of it right away and credited my account.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

--

Sorry about the inconvenience, I have researched your issue and escalated your billing dispute. Someone will be in contact with you soon.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your assistance.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast adjusted the bill this morning and called to apologize.  It's sad that it takes a forum post to get the job done but great that someone here responded and took action. 

Maybe someone at Comcast will also look at the Best Buy modem registration process and install process and fix the disconnect with the billing system.

Problem Solver

--

Thank you for following up with me. I am happy that your issues were addressed and resolved for you. Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-