Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Modem Question

Regular Contributor

Modem Question

I have a Touchstone Telephony Modem...how do I power cycle it?!  When I pull the plug, the lights remain on because it operates on a battery as well.  I really dislike this all in one modem get up, I liked my little Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem!  Yes, I have Comcast Digital Voice.
Security Expert

Re: Modem Question

youngabe wrote:
I have a Touchstone Telephony Modem...how do I power cycle it?!  When I pull the plug, the lights remain on because it operates on a battery as well.  I really dislike this all in one modem get up, I liked my little Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem!  Yes, I have Comcast Digital Voice.

There's a reset button on the back.. Hold it in firmly for about 30 seconds..
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Also the Standby button in the front can be pressed once, wait a few secs, then press it again.  I too have CDV and have had no issues.  What issues are you having that you need to reset?
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
Regular Contributor

Where here's the thing...my Comcast Digital Voice has been great except one minor thing...mostly everytime I answer a call on any phone in the house, there is a brief period of static...I'd say it's only 2 seconds of pure static, it's only right when I answer a call...then it's crystal clear and I go from there!  The caller does NOT hear the static I hear.  What in the world could be causing this?  It's annoying, but the service has been fine and the calls are perfect afterwards.  Any suggestions?
New Poster

Unplug the modem and then remove the battery for about 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and plug the power cable back in. That is what the guy who installed my modem told me to do.
Regular Contributor

I went back and found this thread that I posted this time last year ironically...

The same things is happening again.  When I answer a call, I hear a brief period of PURE static, it's only about 2 seconds.  Then the call is crystal clear from there.  The person who is calling does NOT hear this static.  The bizarre thing is that this problem fixed itself the first time it occured.  Now out of the blue, it is happening again.  Anyone have this happen or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Email Expert

I've moved this thread to from /etc, since the CDV forum is more appropriate.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi youngabe,
The problem is very likely to be a short somewhere within the inside wiring of your home. That kind of a problem generally requires a technician at your home to isolate the problem, so please contact us and report the issue to one of our Customer Service Representatives. They will schedule you for a service technician to come out and fix the problem. Or you may email me with a time I can call you.
By the way, you do not have to power cycle your eMTA like you would an internet modem. The reset
process described by John_Hall in one of the above posts, accomplishes the same task.

Thanks for the post!
Jim