Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Loss of CDV during power outages

Frequent Visitor

Loss of CDV during power outages

This last week we had tremendous Thunderstorms in the DC area that knocked out my home's power.  Despite my battery backup, I had no phone service... however, I was not surprised it did not work because I figured cable lines could be down too.  What I am surprised about is when power was restored, phone service was also immediately restored.  However, when power dropped about 5 hours later, phone service dropped again.  When power was once again restored, telephone returned.  During this entire period, my neighbors Verizon line worked flawlessly.  Fortunately, my wireless service worked find too (using up more minutes than I usually would).  When voice was off, my modem showed a solid top light and a second blinking light.  I thought the phone lines should work even without power with the battery backup... I can only figure that the nodes are powered on the same system as my house and causing it to go down - however, I thought they'd have some backup system.  I am very concerned that when I (or more importnatly, my kids when alone) need telephone service (e.g., a storm) and power goes out, I will not have it available.  Is my only option to ensure my family's safety is to move back to Verizon?  Thanks.
Email Expert

Re: Loss of CDV during power outages

Yes, the upstream equipment is supposed to have backup power. There's not much point in a battery in the eMTA if there's nothing for it to talk to.

You should call Comcast and report the problem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Re: Loss of CDV during power outages

Barmar wrote:
Yes, the upstream equipment is supposed to have backup power. There's not much point in a battery in the eMTA if there's nothing for it to talk to.

You should call Comcast and report the problem.

That's a major service issue if the upstream has no backup power...were that me I would call the state Board of Public Utilities (or whatever they call it in the op's state)...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...