Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Losing land-line when home power goes out

Frequent Visitor

Losing land-line when home power goes out

In our current packaged Comcast service, we have the land-line going through the Telephony Gateway, along with the internet connection. Unfortunately, this ties the availability of the landline to the home's power. The power in the immediate neighborhood is underground, but the lines feeding that underground system are overhead until about a half mile away.

The area has a lot of tall fir trees and power outages are quite frequent in very windy weather. We've had four in the last two months. They were all relatively short (20 - 45 minutes, but it's not unusual to have outages lasting several hours.

Does Comcast offer a traditional landline that is powered from the exchange end of the circuit and independent of the home's power?  We still have the RJ-style wall sockets in the house and would like to switch back to direct wiring of the phone. If such a service is not available, we will probably discontinue our Comcast services (except for TV) and switch to a competitor that does offer telephone service that doesn't rely on the home's AC power.

Although we have a cell-phone, the service is not very reliable in this neighborhood, so the land-line is important.

Service Expert

Re: Losing land-line when home power goes out

dampshop wrote:

In our current packaged Comcast service, we have the land-line going through the Telephony Gateway, along with the internet connection. Unfortunately, this ties the availability of the landline to the home's power. The power in the immediate neighborhood is underground, but the lines feeding that underground system are overhead until about a half mile away.

The area has a lot of tall fir trees and power outages are quite frequent in very windy weather. We've had four in the last two months. They were all relatively short (20 - 45 minutes, but it's not unusual to have outages lasting several hours.

Does Comcast offer a traditional landline that is powered from the exchange end of the circuit and independent of the home's power?  We still have the RJ-style wall sockets in the house and would like to switch back to direct wiring of the phone. If such a service is not available, we will probably discontinue our Comcast services (except for TV) and switch to a competitor that does offer telephone service that doesn't rely on the home's AC power.

Although we have a cell-phone, the service is not very reliable in this neighborhood, so the land-line is important.

Which gateway/modem do you have?

Does it have a bttery compartment in the bottom of the unit?  (Turn it over )

You can always purchase a small UPS system to power the device...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ray:

The gateway modem is a Technicolor TC8305. It does have a back-up battery, but it's only good for 3 hours. Our previous Arris modem had 12 hours battery life, but both the units we had went bad and the Technicolor unit was provided as a replacement. When power went out a couple of days ago, the phone was dead immediately. 

Service Expert

dampshop wrote:

Ray:

The gateway modem is a Technicolor TC8305. It does have a back-up battery, but it's only good for 3 hours. Our previous Arris modem had 12 hours battery life, but both the units we had went bad and the Technicolor unit was provided as a replacement. When power went out a couple of days ago, the phone was dead immediately. 

Then you should probably go with a UPS sized accordingly....

For examples, here's a link @ Amazon...I'm not endorsing Amazon, just a helpful link to get you started!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=UPS 

Good Luck!
-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

It's far more probable that we'll just keep the TV with Comcast and switch over to Frontier for phone and internet service.

New Poster

By law Comscast is required to supply phone service in Texas when the power goes down ( this is for 911 service as passed by Texas legislature). The problem is that at the nodes in your neighborhood where the signal goes from fiberoptic to wire do not have battery backup like law requires. So when you lose neighborhood power you lose the phone. Your modem might have power through its battery or in my case a UPS and home standby generator but Comcast does not have the power to their nodes. The old land line companies supplied their own power to the phone system and that's why you use to have phone service even when you lost power.

My service techs that come out on a regular basis tell me that people steal their batteries from the nodes and that's the reason that there is no back up power at them. Since I have had Comcast I have never had phone when the power goes out so I'm either being lied to or they have the batteries missing right before every blackout. I'll let you decide that one.