Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Line fault

New Poster

Line fault

Comcast provides my landline, internet and cable services. A central home alarm system is hooked up to the landline. On a regular basis, often in the middle of the night, the alarm system indicates a "line fault" or trouble on the line resulting in phone calls from the central alarm monitoring system to report an alarm system issue. At these times, the land line continues to function but it's impossible to clear the fault from the home. Internet and cable are not affected. Generally, a week or so later, the line will suddenly clear itself and the routine begins again. What is causing the fault? How can I clear it? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Problem Solver

Re: Line fault

You need to contact the company that monitors the alarm. It may be that the fault lies in the equipment. You may have to go with a Cellular radio module for alarm reporting, vs. a telephone connection.
Regular Contributor

Re: Line fault

I would recommend calling gyour alarm company, but if your alarm system is plugged into a phone jack, you could test that jack by plugging a phone into it to see if you have a bad phone jack.