Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Landline

New Poster

Landline

Do I need a backup battery when I have a landline?  i.e., will the telephone lines in the wall still work without a battery during a power outtage?

Valued Contributor

Re: Landline

gcline210 wrote:

Do I need a backup battery when I have a landline?  i.e., will the telephone lines in the wall still work without a battery during a power outtage?

For Comcast phone service you need to keep the modem powered with either a backup battery or a UPS.

For the traditional phone company landline, the phone company supplies power over the phone lines.

New Poster

Thank you for your prompt reply, but maybe I didn't ask the question properly.  During a power outage, will I still be able to use my landline, like I currently can.  My fear is that if I get a wireless modem without a backup battery, I won't be able to use my landline, i.e., it will all be tied into the wireless system and therefore unavailable.

Valued Contributor

gcline210 wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply, but maybe I didn't ask the question properly.  During a power outage, will I still be able to use my landline, like I currently can.  My fear is that if I get a wireless modem without a backup battery, I won't be able to use my landline, i.e., it will all be tied into the wireless system and therefore unavailable.

The Comcast phone service uses the modem, but not the wirless router.  As long as the modem has power, the phone service should work.