Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Keeping voice shut down?

New Poster

Keeping voice shut down?

I was tricked by a comcast rep into accepting voice service in addition to my cable and internet service.  I was promised that the triple play was $40 per month cheaper than just cable and internet alone.

I'm not entirely sure this is true, and i've been charged a lot more than i was told to make this switch.

How can i ensure that my "voice" service never gets activated and I never receive calls or voice mails on it?

I realize that comcast doesn't read or respond to any of the forum posts, nor do they care about customer service.  I'm mostly asking to vent my frustration over spending 2 hours on hold and 90 minutes in text chat with a drone who "understood" my problems, but couldn't do anything about them.

New Poster

Re: Keeping voice shut down?

Hey I feel your pain; heck I've got the same complaint plus I can't turn the system on and off for faxing. I was told I'd need a dedicated fax line for an additional $10.00 a month!!! HA!

Regular Visitor

The exact same thing to me this afternoon around 3pm.  A Comcast rep called me, same thing, great deal for 12 months, + Starz for free, Showtime free for 3 months, etc.  Ths only thing the rep said concerning the telephone was "did you know in an emergency when your regular phone does not work you can plug in another phone into the back of the Comcast modem".  I said I did not know that.  He gave me a phone number area code 224+number and he said to use this number in case of an emergency.  After we were done speaking (he was a real nice guy and slick now that I think back) he said I'd have to answer four questions afterwards using the Istonish system.  First question, name, second birth year, third say "YES".  After I said yes I figured out that I would be getting Comacast voice telephone.  I stopped right here, did not answer the fourth question.  I dialed 0 and spoke to another man but he was not helpful but I made it clear I did NOT want Comcast voice.  Right after I called the regular Comcast number, spoke to Katie, and told her the story above.  Katie she said yes that I signed up for Comcast voice.  She cancelled my order.  She seemed to think that since I did not answer all four questions that is what saved me. I also called AT&T.  I'm going to look into filing a complaint with state of Illinois or at a higher level (FCC). 

Regular Contributor

If you do not want the voice service and do not want to pay for it, you should see if you can downgrade to the double play package as long as you are not locked into a contract.  I think you can get out of your contract if you make the change within thirty days of placing your order.  If you need to keep the triple play package, just do not plug a phone into the modem and choose a number that you will not give out to anybody.  You can also call Comcast to turn off the voicemail service.